What kind of diet??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melina367

5 Year Member
Hello my baby sulcata desert tortoise will only eat lettuce. I have tried feeding her different foods but she will only eat the lettuce. I was wondering if anyone could give me a list of what i should be feeding her.
Thank you :D[/quote]

Attachments

• Phone Pics & Vids 196.jpg
    Phone Pics & Vids 196.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 18

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
You can use spring mix or santa barbara mix. It is a mix of different baby lettuces and greens. To that you should add pesticide free edible weeds and grasses.

You can also take the lettuce and other items and chop it very fine, and mix it all together. That makes it harder for her to just pick out one item. Then gradually reduce the amount of lettuce in the mix until you ween her off of it.

What kind of lettuce are you feeding? Romaine is an "okay" food, but iceberg should not be fed at all. Also - she cannot eat lettuce if you do not give it to her. She won't starve herself. You can try the tough love route too and just not give her any lettuce at all, but offer the other items. When she gets hungry she will eat it.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Hi and welcome. I did not get a chance to say that on the introduction thread. I have seen you post a couple question about your Sulcata and I thought this link would help you.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1aExW2Lf9

Good luck:)

Oops, I just saw that you are 10 years old. Wow! Maybe you could show your parents the link on raising a sulcata hatchling and you could all work together on building a tortoise habitat. My kid's helped me and they alway's have great idea's on raising humidity or new foods to try. Sulcata's are awesome tortoises!! Best of luck!

Melina367

5 Year Member
Kristina said:
You can use spring mix or santa barbara mix. It is a mix of different baby lettuces and greens. To that you should add pesticide free edible weeds and grasses.

You can also take the lettuce and other items and chop it very fine, and mix it all together. That makes it harder for her to just pick out one item. Then gradually reduce the amount of lettuce in the mix until you ween her off of it.

What kind of lettuce are you feeding? Romaine is an "okay" food, but iceberg should not be fed at all. Also - she cannot eat lettuce if you do not give it to her. She won't starve herself. You can try the tough love route too and just not give her any lettuce at all, but offer the other items. When she gets hungry she will eat it.
Oh ok! But where can i get the spring mix??

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
You can get spring mix at the grocery store. You can also feed red or green leaf lettuce, radichio, kale, collard greens, endive, romaine, and occasionally spinach.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Touching on what Kristina said...Santa Barbara Mix is BEST...as it contains NO lettuces...only endive, escarole and radicchio! I've only seen it in Stater Bros and Smart and Final! Pick up some Mazuri from your local feed store...or from one of the fine sales folks here! Chop up the Mix and mix it in with the soaked Mazuri...they'll thank you for it!

Touching on what Kristina said...Santa Barbara Mix is BEST...as it contains NO lettuces...only endive, escarole and radicchio! I've only seen it in Stater Bros and Smart and Final! Pick up some Mazuri from your local feed store...or from one of the fine sales folks here! Chop up the Mix and mix it in with the soaked Mazuri...they'll thank you for it!

You can even whip up something like this...

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-TORTOISE-LASAGNE#axzz1a7ZyGIo3

Melina367

5 Year Member
CtTortoiseMom said:
Hi and welcome. I did not get a chance to say that on the introduction thread. I have seen you post a couple question about your Sulcata and I thought this link would help you.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1aExW2Lf9

Good luck:)

Oops, I just saw that you are 10 years old. Wow! Maybe you could show your parents the link on raising a sulcata hatchling and you could all work together on building a tortoise habitat. My kid's helped me and they alway's have great idea's on raising humidity or new foods to try. Sulcata's are awesome tortoises!! Best of luck!

Yes i saw that link when i went to this website and my mom said we might be able to build it one because we have almost ALL the supplies. Thank you soo much for helping. And i also saw all the foods in the list of the link but neither my mom or my brothers know where to buy them. THANK YOU!! :D :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Have you tried hibiscus flowers?

Melina367

5 Year Member
DeanS said:

You can even whip up something like this...

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-TORTOISE-LASAGNE#axzz1a7ZyGIo3

Oooh that looks really cool. But i dont think my parents will buy me all the mixes and the hays. I think i'll just stick to the spring mix because it has lettuce and my tortoise really loves lettuce,but thanks for the suggestion!! :D

M

Maggie Cummings

Here's a link to a care sheet that lists what food to feed a Sulcata hatchling. It is in easy words and you will be able to read it and understand it.

http://africantortoise.com/diet.htm

Remember, your tortoise will only eat what YOU feed it. So if YOU will feed it a good diet it will eat a good diet...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Melina367 said:
But i dont think my parents will buy me all the mixes and the hays. I think i'll just stick to the spring mix because it has lettuce and my tortoise really loves lettuce

Your tortoise may love the lettuce, but it cannot live on just lettuce. If you cannot get the other food items or your parents won't buy them for you, your tortoise will not grow right and may even get sick and die. Lettuce all the time is just not good enough. You need to explain this to your parents. You have to offer other foods.

Status
Not open for further replies.