Tort not eating a variety of things!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

beccayauyau

5 Year Member
My two year old russian tort won't eat a variety of food provided. She will only eat romaine lettuce, gem lettuce and tortoise pellets. I've tried to give her flowers, weeds and different greens but she won't eat them. What can i do to make her try to eat a variety????

Please help!!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Be patient and don't offer the stuff that she'll only eat. Think fussy child here. If your toddler decided only to eat dessert, you'd tell them no dessert until they ate their main course... and you'd hold your ground and not give in because as a parent, you're in charge not them!

My 50 year old TGG, Joe, changes his food likes with the wind. This spring he was on dandelions only and then graduated to mixed salad before getting fixated on lamb's lettuce. At present lamb's lettuce is completely ignored and dandelions are being eaten with a mix of other stuff! He does get a good variety over a month, but not necessarily over a week!

It will do your tort no harm to go without for a few days... bath daily to make sure fluid intake is sufficient and weigh daily to ensure no rapid weight loss. In the wild it would happen naturally. Just present a range of stuff you'd like your tort to eat and hunger will take over as long as tank/table temperatures are correct and it's not too hot or cold for your tort to consider eating.

It's a battle of wills and you can come out on top.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield, California
I second Joesmum, she nailed hit spot on! Don't give in or up. I would cut it up pretty little and mix a little of his favorite so he can smell it and then when he eats it he will be biting more than 1 thing at a time, and slowly use less and less of his favorite! Hang in there!! We feel your pain!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.