What kind of a tortoise is this?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Put him in some water and see if he swims and dives, holds his breath all of the stuff turtles do. I you want to say where you are located maybe some one local could help you with setting him up properly. Habitats don't have to be expensive to be good for the animal.

It's been out of the water for 2 years. She's probably all dried out inside. She will have to be in water for a week or more before she'll be able to sink.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Then neighbor didn't have any info about proper care for you?

Trachemys are extremely aquatic. They are strong swimmers, and they do not eat food out of water. A female that size would eat a lot more aquatic vegetation than anything else. Those are some basics.

I don't even know where to start on this, because you really have such little insight into the needs of this animal. No offense. I wonder about the two years without water or eating as well. She looks very healthy considering everything. I've seen amaciated, skinny, etc. Trachemys plenty of times. This turtle is quite the contrary. Looks to be the perfect weight.

mrsfuchs

ok went to store and got a large container...dug a huge hole in the back yard...put the container in it. Went to pet store, she and my vet confirmed from pictures that it was a slider...probably a red eared slider. I was undecided between red eared and yellow bellied, after I did some initial research after you all told me he was a turtle today. The lady at the store is known as the "turtle lady", so she probably knows what she's talking about. Got him some food. It's night now...so waiting until tomorrow to fill it all up and get turtle in there. I don't have a filter yet...gonna research that. The lady at the store said that in So Cal, I wouldn't need to worry about a water heater...especially if he has been hanging around for 2 years with no problems. She also said that he is not starving...that he was probably eating worms, snails and things like that...which we have lots of. I've got to get some large rocks so that he can get out of pond and have a basking area. She did confirm that the turtle likes to be in the water...so this should make him real happy. Going to get him a log too.

Really wish I would have pursued this more when I took him over from the neighbor. The neighbor really didn't know anything, it had been his kids that went away to college...and they were moving. He didn't have a pond at their house. Just said he takes care of himself. Now I know...and I'm working at getting it into its happy place. Thanks for all the ideas and information!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Yeah!!

Love to see the enclosure you set-up for him/her.

I just glad his/her nightmare are over...........

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Yay! I'm in So. Cal and I don't use a heater. Where are you located?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
wow...that is awesome.
Thanks! It cost me a whopping 20/30 bucks I forget maybe not that much . All I spent money on was a filter box and mulch . The horse through was free . The metal panels I had . The rocks and plants I found on a trip to Austin . If you get on Craigslist on free stuff you can find all kinds of stuff you can use . You can build your filter yourself for next to nothing . Get on YouTube and look up Wendy filters . May cost you 30 bucks .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mrs. Fuchs:

You should know, that being out of the water for such a long time, this turtle will not be able to submerge. Her body cavity is full of air. It will take several days to maybe weeks for her to be able to swim. For the time being, she will just float.

mrsfuchs

ok...not the best, but pretty darn good for one days work. And turtle is soaking it all in. Filter will be here tomorrow...so I can set that up then. And need to find a good log and trash that piece of plywood I have in there for now.turtle habitat 2.jpg turtle habitat.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You have greatly improved that turtles life. I'm sure he is very grateful and now one little happy turtle. I think you did a great job, especially for one days work. check out the turtle section here on the forum and you will find all kinds of great information, pictures etc.

mrsfuchs

well he hung out in pond for about 24 hours...cruised around the yard...and is back in his dry home again. My husband set up the go pro so we can keep an eye on what he is doing.

mrsfuchs

oh yeah...we set up filter today...and I'm going to go get some fishies for him to munch on tomorrow. And some kind of plant to float in there. Still trying to find the perfect log. And I need more rocks.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
WOW!!! I didn't know that a water turtle could survive for over 2 yrs without being submerged in water...that blows my mind! I'm so glad you joined this forum and did a shout out!! I hope your turtle enjoys it's new enclosure. You will eventually have to set something up like mike Taylor showed you, a lot of water!! How big is your turtle anyway? Maybe a very large aquarium with a basking area. I hope your turtle is as healthy inside as your turtle looks outside, appearance wise!