What kind of a tortoise is this?

mrsfuchs

Adopted this from a neighbor...and don't know what it is. Any help identifying would be greatly appreciated:
WP_20131005_003.jpg WP_20131005_007.jpg WP_20131005_009.jpg

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
What you have there is a turtle. It needs water to survive. Someone more experienced with turtles will see this and help out soon.The only person I can think of is
@yvonne may be able to help. Good luck to you. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It is indeed a turtle. Needs to live in water with a ground area to get into. Needs to be able to bask in the sun out of the water or under a uvb light. Not sure of species, but someone will be along with more info for you.

mrsfuchs

What you have there is a turtle. It needs water to survive. Someone more experienced with turtles will see this and help out soon. Good luck to you. :)

I put water out and he/she very rarely touches it. Wont eat any food I put out either. He's been alive at my house for 2 years...must just be eating grass and other foliage I put out. Doesn't like people...hides mostly, unless its a nice warm day, then we will see him trucking around. Hibernated himself last year...and has hunkered down again already for his 2nd hibernation with me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your water turtle isn't 'living' Mrs. Fuchs, it is merely surviving and slowly starving to death. Water turtles cannot eat unless they are submerged under the water. They can't swallow without the water. We are telling you the truth. It is a female water turtle and needs a pond in order to thrive. They don't eat grass or foliage, they eat bugs, worms, fish, etc.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
As I stated I have no experience with water turtles. But I'm positive it must have water to survive. I have also heard they don't eat unless they are in water. Hopefully someone with more experience will be along soon to help.
Lets see if this helps
@ YellowTurtle 01

mrsfuchs

that's no good. Yikes. Waiting for someone to give me more advise as to what to do now. How could he not eat for 2 years?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They can go a long time without not eating. It's not healthy, but it can be done. She will eventually starve to death. I'm pretty sure I gave you the advice needed - the turtle needs a pond. If you don't want to fix one for her, then give her to someone who has a pond.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Your water turtle isn't 'living' Mrs. Fuchs, it is merely surviving and slowly starving to death. Water turtles cannot eat unless they are submerged under the water. They can't swallow without the water. We are telling you the truth. It is a female water turtle and needs a pond in order to thrive. They don't eat grass or foliage, they eat bugs, worms, fish, etc.

Actually, some aquatics can. Some species of Batagur have been observed grazing on grass like cows, when starved enough. Not sure if this extends to RES or not.

What to do is set her up in a pool of water….Go to Walmart and get a cheap kitty pool. You can get them for under $10. Fill it with water, buy some turtle pellets, and go from there.

mrsfuchs

I'm looking at the book we got when we got this turtle. My guy doesn't have webbed feet. So if he is a turtle, then wouldn't he be a terrestrial turtle? or at the most semi-aquatic?

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
For me it looks like a subspecies of the genus trachemys. First I thought it is trachemys scripta elegans but I can't see the red slide maybe because he's old. Otherwise it could be trachemys scripta a scripta but they normally have not so much points on there bottom.. So I'm undecided.. Normally it isn't really difficult to keep trachemys. But some kinds need other temperatures for example the kinds from middle America..

Turtlepete

South Florida
I'm looking at the book we got when we got this turtle. My guy doesn't have webbed feet. So if he is a turtle, then wouldn't he be a terrestrial turtle? or at the most semi-aquatic?

I promise you, that is a fully aquatic turtle. They only leave the water to bask on logs, or to lay eggs. You haven't seen it's webbed feet because you've never seen it in the water. The folded skin that would form the "webbed" feet are plainly visible in the pictures, on the hind legs.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
The feet threw me off in the first picture. can we see more pictures of this guy and his feet.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Put him in some water and see if he swims and dives, holds his breath all of the stuff turtles do. I you want to say where you are located maybe some one local could help you with setting him up properly. Habitats don't have to be expensive to be good for the animal.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yellow belly slider . It needs water . Get a fifty gallon tote from wal- mart fill it with water . Find a log that floats hang a light over it . A mercury vapor lamp is a great basking lamp . Then get some water hyacinths duckweed and water lettuce . These are all good foods . Get craw fish, tadpoles, small fish and store turtlturtle food . You will see a big difference in your turtle .