**Help Needed** Identifying species of found turtle/tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajf

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, CA
This is my first post and I'm sorry to all the members for not going through the proper introductions before positing but my name is Jay and I have have 4 year old African Sulcata named David.
This morning my neighbor came over and dropped off a turtle/tortoise he found in his pond skimmer. I do not know what species it is but after doing some research online I believe I have narrowed it down to a "Western Chicken Turtle" but I cannot be absolutely positive.
Any help you can give me in identifying the species of this turtle/tortoise I would greatly appreciate it. I want to get it taken care of so I can find a good home for it to live in.

Found002.jpg

Found003.jpg

Found006.jpg

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Looks like Red ear slider.. but would have to see the side of its head.. does it have red stripes on teh side of its head?
if so, very common water turtle. NOT a tortoise...:)

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I was thinking slider as well...but I don't know much about aquatic turtles. The plastron is interesting!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If it has red on the side of it's head then it is a red ear slider.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
If they are native to your area I would find a quiet, weed edged pond and let it go. Don't try to keep it in captivity. The sooner you turn it loose the better.

cajf

10 Year Member!
Fresno, CA
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! Shortly after I posted the thread it stuck its head out and I saw the red stripes and immediately thought "Red Eared Slider". I thought I deleted the thread but it didn't go through.
Again, thank you all for your help.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Definitely red eared slider. His plastron almost looks septic. How long was he in that pool?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I thought the plastron looked like he was living on concrete. Really worn down. I'm looking at a pretty small screen, you've probably got a better view.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jay:

1114827ezbz9xhpjl.gif
to the forum!!

Before you release the turtle, find out if it might be illegal to do so. Unless the RES is native to your state, it might be illegal to release it.

Status
Not open for further replies.