What kind am I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rocklin, CA
I'm posting this for friend- she was given this turtle last night and needs to know what kind it is so she can provide it with the right type of habitat and food. I'm thinking it is some kinda of box turtle but I'm much better with tortoises so I thought I'd ask here knowing there are so many more knowledgeable people here. Any help you can give is much appreciated. My friend has kept turtles in the past so she does have some experience. Thank you so much!
f0c881e8.jpg

I forgot to ask also- is that shell rot in the front? My friend will be taking more pics tonight so we can see if he is a he or a she.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like a female 3-toe box turtle. The shell damage might be from animal chewing, or from a fire. I don't think its shell rot. At any rate, the damage is quite old and nothing to worry about now.

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
emysemys said:
Looks like a female 3-toe box turtle. The shell damage might be from animal chewing, or from a fire. I don't think its shell rot. At any rate, the damage is quite old and nothing to worry about now.

Thanks Yvonne! I've given my friend the link to this forum and will make sure I pass the info on as well. She said a neighbor of hers found it in her yard mixed in with other rocks and didn't even notice it until it moved. How can you tell its a female?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its really just a guess. The eye color, the shape of the shell plus its not very colorful. Males are usually more colorful than that.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hard to tell from the picture, but I would say a very old female 3-toed. I picture of the hind legs and tell would confirm.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I agree :) female Three-toed box turtle, Terrapene carolina triunguis.

Danny

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
I know. Thanks everyone for the info. I've passed it on along with the link for this fabulous forum and my friend is doing a bunch of research. You guys rock!

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Yes, 100% positive that it's a female three toed box turtle. No doubt about that.

-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.