What is wrong with my Hermann's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Puff

5 Year Member
Thank you for the kind words everyone,

Tyler over at Bluebeast Reptile has decided, without asking, to give me a new Hermann's free of charge. He doesn't know why Sherman died and says my setup is suitable. I stress that I don't blame him for what happened--he is a good breeder and takes care of his torts. Some things are just out of your control.

--John Harmony

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV.
Stazz said:
I would also definitely go to the breeder and give him stick about selling you an already sick tort. Good luck !

Not sure what "giving someone stick is," but let's not automatically assume that it was sick when it was initially sold. While I understand this point being made about someone buying a tortoise from a pet store or a simple reseller, buying from a breeder that raises tortoises from the egg is a much safer bet. Whatever the reason this tortoise didn't do well, it is being replaced for free, with free shipping. It did well at the show it was purchased at (they were all active and eating there) and ate the first two days in the new home. They were all at least a few months old at the time (not sure exactly which one he purchased), and selling a "sick" tortoise is not worth the hassle for me when they don't do well for a customer. Offering to replace a tortoise that died 8-9 days after purchase isn't something that people who knowingly selling sick tortoises are willing to do.

I know it's human nature to blame the source of the tortoise (vets do it all the time, usually because they are unable to figure out what's wrong with the animal), but this is something that should be avoided unless the dealer (I'll leave the word breeder out, because I think most breeders are very capable of selling healthy animals) is well known for selling sub-par animals.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
I am so sorry for you to lose your little guy when you were trying so frantically to figure out how best to help him...it's just so sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.