Burrowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I just got a baby hermanns tortoise, and he keeps burrowing under the substrate.
Is this regular behavior, or is this just my tortoise adjusting to his new home. Also' the temperature range in my tank is from 90°F to 70°F. Is this OK?
Thanks!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
It's normal behavior for a baby Hermanns. It is in part the tortoise making itself save until it feels secure in it's new environment. But it may also continue long after it feels secure and is out more. Baby tortoises of some species will continue to bury themselves in the substrate rather then using above ground shelters.

If 90 degrees is under the basking light that's good. The basking temperature directly under the light should be in the 90-95 degree range. 70 degrees is fine for the opposite end of the enclosure during the daytime, slightly warmer would be better. The ambient temperature during the daytime should be in the 72-82 degree range.

What is the night time temperature and ambient day and night time humdity levels?

Neb

5 Year Member
New York
During the day, my humidity levels are around 50%. At night, about 40%. As for the night temperature, I believe it is about 70° F to 55-60° F.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I'd suggest increasing the humidity if you can. 45-50% is the minimum that it should be during the daytime with as high as 65-70% at night or during the daytime. Higher for shorter periods is fine too. 70 degrees is very warm at night for a temperate climate species. They do much better at 55-62 degrees. They really need a 15-20 degree temperature differential from day to night for normal activity. As with the humidity, occasionally cooler or warmer is fine too.

Status
Not open for further replies.