Please help-is my tortoise lonely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pencilsss

5 Year Member
I have a Hermann's tortoise, hes two, his name is Pencils.

I know it might seem really silly but i was just wondering f anyone knows if tortoises get lonely. Its just him in his house and sometimes i just get worried about him. He often stands on two feet against the walls of his enclosure, i dont know why :s.

Please help :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: Please help

No they don't get lonely. They prefer to be alone like they would be in the wild.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

How tall are the sides of the enclosure wall in relation to him when he is standing tall and belly wrestling the walls? :p

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6

Are the enclosure walls made of glass, or transparent? If they can see through, they will endlessly try to get through too. If that's the case, you can tape some opaque material to block visibility.

pencilsss

5 Year Member
The enclosure is wooden and hes about 5cms long and the enclosure walls are about 10cm but he stretches his legs. I do wonder what hes doing. Ive told him hes a tortoise and not a human :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've seen my steppe tortoises with two legs up on the fence putting their bodies at a better angle to receive the lower rays of the sun. Is your habitat warm enough?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If your tort can get close enough that in their mind a little more hard work and stretch will get him over...then you can bet your tort will spend its life trying to achieve that goal (remember, they are patient and tenacious)...I wonder if you extend the height on the enclosure walls so that he can not see "the other side" so to speak then he may gain some relief....

A tort has a tendency to believe (by their actions anyways) that they have to get through those darn walls....I have often wondered in watching the torts here ALOT if when they do the thing that makes us think they are trying to escape ---are they in reality trying to get into what ever that darn fence must be around vs them trying to get out of where they are...I mean who is to say if they are trying to get in or out of where they stand at that moment...suppose it is all relative :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.