9 Month Hermann's Tortoise not eating

Cah_wee_vah

Location (City and/or State)
Dublin, Ireland
Hi I’m hoping someone can help me.

I got a hermann’s tortoise 3 weeks ago. His appetite was great at first but the last 3/4 days he’s really reduced the amount he’s eating. I’ve been trying him with lots of different types of food, leafy greens like dandelions and also cucumbers and tomatoes etc to encourage eating some high moisture content food.

He’s been nibbling but then he walks away to his basking spot or under his bridge and sleeps.

He is going over to his water and drinking and I’m soaking him every day to make sure he’s ok. He didn’t go to the toilet during yesterday’s soak which has worried me.

His basking spot is 34 degrees Celsius (93.2 F) and his cool spot is about 28 degrees Celsius (82.4 F). He’s on a redish dirt substrate which has pebbles in also which I got from a reptile shop.

I’m just at a loss and I’m getting worried. I haven’t been taking him out, only to soak, the last few days in case he is stressed.

I live in Ireland so it’s not the hottest place but his environment hasn’t cooled down as he has his heat lamp with a 35 degree celcius bulb (95F) and uv lamp and I have a heat mat on the wall which I turn on at night to keep temperatures warm for him as suggested by the reptile shop.

I’m really worried so if anyone could suggest anything that would be amazing! I’m going to buy a variety of foods for him and try him with all of them later as he may be sick of his dendelions but am I doing anything wrong?

Thanks so much in advance.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, I am not familiar with your species but someone should be answering soon with the time difference. I know they will want to see your tort and enclosure. So send some pics of both. The substrate with pebbles in it kind of worries me. But again not knowledgeable about Hermann's.
Good luck!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hi I’m hoping someone can help me.

I got a hermann’s tortoise 3 weeks ago. His appetite was great at first but the last 3/4 days he’s really reduced the amount he’s eating. I’ve been trying him with lots of different types of food, leafy greens like dandelions and also cucumbers and tomatoes etc to encourage eating some high moisture content food.

He’s been nibbling but then he walks away to his basking spot or under his bridge and sleeps.

He is going over to his water and drinking and I’m soaking him every day to make sure he’s ok. He didn’t go to the toilet during yesterday’s soak which has worried me.

His basking spot is 34 degrees Celsius (93.2 F) and his cool spot is about 28 degrees Celsius (82.4 F). He’s on a redish dirt substrate which has pebbles in also which I got from a reptile shop.

I’m just at a loss and I’m getting worried. I haven’t been taking him out, only to soak, the last few days in case he is stressed.

I live in Ireland so it’s not the hottest place but his environment hasn’t cooled down as he has his heat lamp with a 35 degree celcius bulb (95F) and uv lamp and I have a heat mat on the wall which I turn on at night to keep temperatures warm for him as suggested by the reptile shop.

I’m really worried so if anyone could suggest anything that would be amazing! I’m going to buy a variety of foods for him and try him with all of them later as he may be sick of his dendelions but am I doing anything wrong?

Thanks so much in advance.
Hello, send us some pics if you can. A lot of time it can be a temp problem. Without pics it will be hard to help.