what is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheviper1

5 Year Member
Rescued a baby tortoise from a preschool. A parent abandoned it there and it wasn't well cared for. Unsure of the species. Anyone want to be the expert here?

Attachments

• April 30, 2012 030.JPG
    April 30, 2012 030.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 95

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I'm thinking greek perhaps.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I'm pretty sure its Testudo

Marginated, possibly. A plastron shot would help... is there any sign of spurs on the back legs?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
It is a Gopherus species.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Its some type of Gopher......The best thing for it would be getting to a licensed wildlife rehabilitator since this was more than likely picked up out of the wild.....

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Yeah, I also think it's one of the native Gopherus species. They tend to have fairly small scales on the front legs, and fairly broad heads. Also, when they are young, they are kind of yellowish, like this one, darkening as they get older. So, it could be a southeastern gopher tortoise (G. polyphemus), a Texas tortoise (G. berlandieri) or a western desert tortoise (G. agasizzii or G. morafkai). What part of the country are you in? I believe gopher and Texas tortoises cannot legally be kept as pets, and desert tortoises can only be kept legally by permit.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
My first impression was Desert tort or Gopherus as well. I concur with contacting a licensed rehabilitator.

Sheviper1

5 Year Member
Frontal View

Attachments

• new tortoise 007.JPG
    new tortoise 007.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 29

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since you're in Florida, its more than likely a gopher tortoise (Gopherus polyphemus). They are protected. I don't know Florida's laws concerning the tortoise, but its probably illegal for you to have it. The club can tell you for sure.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
After seeing the plastron photo, yes, it is most definitely a Gopher tortoise. Gopher tortoises (and their burrows) are protected in the state of Florida. The legality of owning one is much like that of the Desert tortoise in California. The animal can only legally be kept in captivity with a proper state wildlife permit. They cannot be taken from the wild to be kept as a pet. Those that are permitted animals within the state are either rehabilited or confiscated individuals that after being exposed to captivity (bacteria, viruses, etc...) cannot be legally released back into the wild. Any Gopher tortoises brought into captivity, regardless of circumstances are supposed to be reported to Florida Fish & Wildlife.

Sheviper1

5 Year Member
OK everyone...thank you for your expert opinions. This little gopher tortoise has been given to the proper authorities and will more than likely be relocated to an area with other gopher tortoises. :)

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Sheviper1 said:
OK everyone...thank you for your expert opinions. This little gopher tortoise has been given to the proper authorities and will more than likely be relocated to an area with other gopher tortoises. :)

Good for you :D He has a cute face!

Status
Not open for further replies.