What is this? (plant id)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Sorry for the picture Quality. This was forwarded to me from another cell phone.

This grows in this persons front yard. Is this a safe weed?

IMG953344.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks like black medic, but can't really tell for sure. Either burr clover, which grows sort of low to the ground, or black medic, which grows more upright. Both are edible.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
It looks like the clover i have growing in my yard and they have the little yellow flower growing from them. My Sulcata loves them especially if they are wet.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
dalano73 said:
It looks like the clover i have growing in my yard and they have the little yellow flower growing from them. My Sulcata loves them especially if they are wet.

Mine won't eat them for some reason. My friend's sullie will. He pulls the weeds from they yard and puts them in the enclosure and his tort gets his fill.

I can't figure for the life of me why Andy won't eat Cactus some weeds like other torts.

I even once tried tempting him with a strawberry...nope. He won't even try a rose petal.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
FernandoM said:
dalano73 said:

Mine won't eat them for some reason. My friend's sullie will. He pulls the weeds from they yard and puts them in the enclosure and his tort gets his fill.

I can't figure for the life of me why Andy won't eat Cactus some weeds like other torts.

I even once tried tempting him with a strawberry...nope. He won't even try a rose petal.

The new hatchling I just got is very picky as well, as of right now he wont touch cactus or a lot of the greens. He loves the tops of dandelions and certain grass. I am hoping as he gets bigger he will start to eat a wider variety. I am waiting on Mazuri and I truly hope he will like that.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
dalano73 said:
FernandoM said:
dalano73 said:

The new hatchling I just got is very picky as well, as of right now he wont touch cactus or a lot of the greens. He loves the tops of dandelions and certain grass. I am hoping as he gets bigger he will start to eat a wider variety. I am waiting on Mazuri and I truly hope he will like that.

Yeah It's not too often that you hear of hatchlings NOT liking MAZURI. I don't think you'll have a problem. I'll usually mix Mazuri with Grassland Tort food and he loves that too. I use it on Calcium days because it's easier to get a good amount and the tort won't even notice its layered with calcium.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
My baby sulcata is eating this as we speak right now in my backyard!
He loves it, i move him and he keeps going back for more :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
dalano73 said:

Are the little yellow flowers trumpet shaped and about 3/4 to 1" long? If yes then that's oxalis. It looks like clover (I used to think it WAS clover), but its not. Its very high in oxalates and they should not eat it. The smaller they are the more serious this is.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Tom said:
dalano73 said:

Are the little yellow flowers trumpet shaped and about 3/4 to 1" long? If yes then that's oxalis. It looks like clover (I used to think it WAS clover), but its not. Its very high in oxalates and they should not eat it. The smaller they are the more serious this is.

I posted this on the thread for that very reason. I remember you mentioning this so I wanted to make sure this wasn't the one you are referring to. According to Yvonne this one is edible. Maybe dalano73 can post a picture of his if it's not the same one.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
It doesnt have any of the yellow stuff growing, in my backyard

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
The flowers look too small to be oxalis.

This is in our yard (right half of picture):

It's California Burclover (Medicago polymorpha)........It looks like your pic to me. It has little burrs that become a nuisance in the summer but most of our torts eat it without issue.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
We have the same stuff here...it matches up perfectly to Burclover and Black medic! Yvonne and I nipped this one in the bud (no pun intended) almost a year ago...so I've been going with medic...all of my beasts (great and small) love it. I tasted it and it's a little tangy/spicy.

Az tortoise compound said:
The flowers look too small to be oxalis.

This is in our yard (right half of picture):

It's California Burclover (Medicago polymorpha)........It looks like your pic to me. It has little burrs that become a nuisance in the summer but most of our torts eat it without issue.

I like that yours is growing among the mallow...an all-time favorite for any tort!:p

Status
Not open for further replies.