Plant identification(Indonesia)

Tortisedonk7

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Hello from Lombok Indonesia. Would like help to identify this plant (weed) that grows in our yard. Location Lombok Indonesia.

Attachments

• 79B3FFAD-714A-4BD7-BE03-D10574315F89.jpeg
    79B3FFAD-714A-4BD7-BE03-D10574315F89.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 24

TisMary

New York
Hello @Tortisedonk7! Indonesia eh? I didn't get any hits with this picture at my usual sources. Ever see any flowers on this plant? An image search with a flower can often turn up information more easily than the leaves do. I looked online for "wildflowers of Indonesia", etc. but I didn't come up with much. Think you're going to have to do some sleuthing on this one yourself. Do any of your local universities have a department that teaches botany maybe? Does your local government have the equivalent of our Cooperative Extensions here in the states?

I didn't get too far when I looked for new sources, but I did find a page about local flora on a site called Flora - Facts of Indonesia. There are a couple of authors there who might be able to help you. Let us know if you figure out what this is. Then we can take the next step to determine if it's safe to feed your tortoise.

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
I believe it is some kind of Boerhavia, possibly Boerhavia diffusa. More Commonly found on the Indian subcontinent than here in Indonesia, which is why it wasn't coming up for you @TisMary. The leaves are edible for humans and *probably* for torts too.

TisMary

New York
I believe it is some kind of Boerhavia, possibly Boerhavia diffusa. More Commonly found on the Indian subcontinent than here in Indonesia, which is why it wasn't coming up for you @TisMary. The leaves are edible for humans and *probably* for torts too.
I think you may have identified this correctly @MEEJogja. With a name to start with, I found this very nice site called The Tropical Plant Database which I've added to my list! I still don't know about safety for torts.

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
Thanks for the information. That looks like it or a variation of it. I’ll have to wait until it gets flowers to see if they match. We fed Leonardo a leaf and he devoured it. But want to be 100% sure before giving him more.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
It looks like something in the four o’clock family to me as well. In fact the leaves are startlingly similar to the desert four o’clock that grows here in the Western U.S. desert (and my yard). That plant and many relatives are safe for our native desert tortoises and testudo tortoises as well but I am no redfoot expert. The most I can say is that they seem to be able to each anything and survive. :)

You can wait for a flower for further identification but I’m not sure if anyone here will have expert advice on that particular plant. I’d feed it but I’m pretty casual about feeding a Russian with a cast iron stomach; only you know what’s best for your tortoise.