what is the lowest temp for outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
What is the lowest outdoor temp you will allow your RFs to be in during the day (not talking about during night)?

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
If it's 50 and sunny, I'll let them out. If it's 50 and overcast, then they stay inside.

-Matt

M

Maggie Cummings

Because it's so wet here without sun I wouldn't put your girls out under 70 degrees...

M

Maggie Cummings

DoctorCosmonaut said:
Darn :( I just want them to get natural sun so bad

We don't have any 'natural' sun here!

Put them in a tub and set them outside for a bit, but I wouldn't put them on the cold/wet ground...

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I don't put Dale out unless it's in the 70's and sunny. If the ground is wet and cold I don't put him out at all. :)

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
i just need to put them in a tub next to a mobile space heater on my balcony haha... my neighbors might think I'm crazy

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For my little ones I use those big black rubber cement mixing tubs. Even when temps are in the low 50's it gets 80-90 in the bottom of those tubs where the torts are sitting. (I love my temp gun!) The high sides keep the wind from cooling it much and the sun just warms it right up.

I don't worry too much about the outside temps. I put little tortoise sized and colored rocks in the sunning pens and temp them after a half hour or so. As long as my rocks are hitting the 80's, I go ahead and put the torts out. But like Maggie said, I don't put them on the bare wet ground when its that cold.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
1. i need a temp gun... best place to get one?
2. i need a BLACK tub.
3. i need more sun! Maggie is very right in the sun levels of Oregon lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
DoctorCosmonaut said:
1. i need a temp gun... best place to get one?
2. i need a BLACK tub.
3. i need more sun! Maggie is very right in the sun levels of Oregon lol

1. Do google search for PE1. Does Tyler sell these? If not I know LLL has them.
2. Any hardware store should have black cement mixing tubs for around $10-15.
3. Move South... It was 79 here today... in the shade.:D

M

Maggie Cummings

Jordan, I have a temp gun, come over and get it. But why are you so anxious to put the girls outside in the middle of winter? What is happening/wrong with them?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
- You can get cheap digital IR thermometers from Harbor Freight. It may not be perfectly accurate, but it is plenty good enough for our needs.

- Natural sunlight in the winter holds less UV the further north you go. You may get more benefit from UVB light or vitamin D drops, depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

- Depending on how big your gals are, I've read about a guy who held his babies in his hands in the winter sun, and then against his chest with his jacket open when they got bigger if you don't want to buy a tub.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
maggie3fan said:
Jordan, I have a temp gun, come over and get it. But why are you so anxious to put the girls outside in the middle of winter? What is happening/wrong with them?

Thanks Maggie :)

Nothing is wrong... I just saw the sun the other-day, and thought they deserved to see it too sometime sooner than later. heh

Vitamin D drops? Do you add this to food or water? I feel rather newbie not being familiar with them... must pass by them at the pet store all the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.