What is the CRAZIEST pet you ever owned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
We bought a school of piranha babies once. We had them in a 150 gal. tank. One by one they ate each other....is that the right way to say that?....until only one was left. We fed them really well, so we couldn't figure out why they did that. The remaining one grew very large and was very beautiful. We donated him to our local zoo.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
For awhile my family had a cow when I was younger. It was kinda a odd cow, and it would even let my little sister ride it like a horse. I believe it thought it was a horse since we keep it with horse's.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
When I was growing up the neighbor down the street was a tree trimmer. One day he killed a racoon that attacked him.. and then later found the nest in the tree with 2 babies. We named them bonnie and clyde and raised them to sub adult and then donated them to the local nature center. Crayfish were cool. and Mudpuppies. I have worms in the fridge now, in a 'worm farm', but I don't get attached as they're for fishing.

teri

85hardy

5 Year Member
Everyone i know thinks i am crazy with my turtles, tortoises, dogs, chinchillas, rabbit, fish, but i think they all think i am truly crazy for owning a snapping turtle. Raised since a hatchling, Dominic is my baby. He will be 9 Sept 10th.

Jenilyn

5 Year Member
Michigan
how about my new baby? she is a richardson ground squirrell. her name is hadley.

P8050754.jpg

P8040751.jpg

Jenilyn

5 Year Member
Michigan
thank you, we quite love her. she has more personality then almost all of my animals (well, not sheldon haha he takes the cake, odd ball.)

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
For a while we raised walking stick bugs. I started off with one and ended up with way more than I could count. We gave some away to friends and friends of friends, some to teachers for their classes and some to relatives. They were absolutely fascinating and I loved their faces. I would just sit and let the largest one crawl on my arms and watch her face. B-E-A-U-tiful. But, I must admit stick bugs have absolutely nothing on torts. When people find out that we have torts, some do look at me like I'm crazy and why would I want such a boring pet. They totally don't get it. Sometimes I'll invite them over and then usually they get it at least a little bit. We have crawfish too.

dolfanjack

5 Year Member
Dallas Oregon
I raised sea monkeys as a teen until i learned they were brine shrimp. I also had a baby red fox until the authorities took it a way. I also had a ring-necked pheasant rooster that was really cool.

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
I raised 3 baby squirrels after their mother was hit by a car.
Bottle feeding every 3 hours :) they were so cute!
I'll try to dig up pictures

Motara's Mom

5 Year Member
A black widow spider. We bought wood from Home Depot or Lowe's and she was on the wood.

Dumbest question I would get asked: Do you get it out and play with it?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
After hanging with Tom yesterday, I thought I'd dig up some old photos...yes! photos! Pre-digital! Had to scan everything...what the hell would we do without digital...;)

This is Bart (one of my last wolves)...took this in 1990 in Angeles National Forest just north of Mt Wilson...if you look real close you can see his coke chain...actually, the only pet of mine represented here!
11kulvb.jpg

This is Caesar...a gorilla at the LA Zoo (named for being the first gorilla delivered by c-section)...died weeks after being loaned to Zoo Atlanta at 525 pounds
taomq9.jpg

This is me pulling a bale wire from Jabba a 2+ ton white rhino at LCS in 1998 or 1999
x0pcp4.jpg

...and these next 2 shots are of the Komodo dragon at San Diego Zoo...apparently Tom and I both have our eyes on this guy;)
295v1n7.jpg

2qwedtu.jpg

Enjoy!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
scan pictures? I remember doing that before digital, lol I still do it for old family photos, my family and friends think I am crazy for owning turtles and tortoises (they are so boring, they don't do anything) But a long time ago I did own a crayfish he was pretty cool, he ate goldfishes and never ate the heads for some reason, so I always had to fish the heads out of his tank I don't recall how long he lived but I had him for a long time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
85hardy said:
Everyone i know thinks i am crazy with my turtles, tortoises, dogs, chinchillas, rabbit, fish, but i think they all think i am truly crazy for owning a snapping turtle. Raised since a hatchling, Dominic is my baby. He will be 9 Sept 10th.

Snappers are great. I've been around a few and really like them.

Fantastic pics Dean. Ceaser was a handsome dude. Scary as hell up close, but definitely a looker. Your wolf was gorgeous too. I've only been around wolves a little bit. One thing I can say for sure: They are NOT like dogs. I will have me a Komodo one day.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Dean...your pictures were unbelievable!!! I don't know what kind of camera you own, but I want it. You say you took that picture in 1990 of your wolf? Wow. Beautiful!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
All of those shots were made with my Nikon F4...it could catch anything...never an out-of-focus shot. I think they stopped making it in the mid to late 90s. It is considered by many to bell the Rolls Royce of SLRs. Now it sits in the closet...I pull it out everythiing 6 months or so to clean it...but I doubt I'll ever use it again!

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
Well I rehabilated an injured Wood Pecker "Woody". Once his bruised wing felt better we released him but I always consider him as one of my babies!! To me he counts!!:D

Attachments

• Marta new camera 168a.JPG
    Marta new camera 168a.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 22

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
Believe it or not My sulcata, There not common where i live and people think its crazy to have a 40 pound tortoise. Plus they get a kick when i call it and he comes. LOL

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
A skunk and a raccoon, both at seperate times. The skunk was great, the raccoon was challenging.

Jenilyn said:
how about my new baby? she is a richardson ground squirrell. her name is hadley.

P8050754.jpg

P8040751.jpg

So cute!

Status
Not open for further replies.