If you owned a pet shop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
If you owned a pet shop, what kinds of things would you carry? What sort of things would you absolutely NOT put in the hands of the average joe?

I am really curious what people would like to see in stores, and what makes their brains bleed everytime they see it.

Here is my list so far...

Things I would sell:

Tort tables (I and my husband would build them)
50-gallon tree storage boxes
Oxbow hay
Play sand
Coconut fiber bedding
Aspen bedding
Orchid bark
Greens (yes, I would carry a selection of greens for feeding)
Ready-made (by me) above-tank basking areas
Cactus pads
Silk plants
Cuttlebone
Calcium carbonate
Reptile carpet
A wide selection of hides
Cork bark
Sphagnum moss
Digital thermometers
Flexwatt tape
Clear packing tape
Zip ties
Aquarium silicone
Great Stuff foam
Eggcrate
Corn snakes
Ball pythons
Pig blankets
Worms and insects for feeders
Anoles and house geckos
Small selection of fish, mainly community and feeder types
PVC coated welded wire
Plexiglass
UV lighting
Heat lamps
Driftwood
Small – large pieces of slate
Terra cotta flower pot bottoms
Small paint roller pans
Apogee Reptariums
Sea sponges

Things I would not carry:

Calci-sand
Repti-bark
Turtle islands
Kritter Keepers
Commercial diets
Iguanas
Sulcatas
Leopard tortoises
Alligators
Monitors
Aquariums less than 29 gallons
Goldfish bowls
Betta bowls
Wire hermit crab cages
Paper thermometers
Cedar or pine bedding
Boa constrictors
Under tank heaters or heat pads

Things I would provide free

A week’s amount of whatever diet the animal sold was eating
CARE SHEETS
A guarantee that if at any time you can no longer care for an animal sold by me or anyone else, you can bring it to me

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks like you should name your new store "The Tortoise Store." There are other types of pets besides tortoises, and that's usually what keeps a pet store alive. There are many more other types of pet than there are tortoise keepers, and you wouldn't be able to make any money on just selling tortoise supplies. I applaud your "intentions" however, I don't think its doable.

Yvonne

sushisurf13

10 Year Member!
Huntington Beach, CA
can I suggest various plant/flower seeds. Since many reptiles are vegitarians perhaps a variety of edible plant seeds. Lettuce, dandilion..... maybe even advice on how to grow them. i'm sure this would boost your profits.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
emysemys said:
It looks like you should name your new store "The Tortoise Store." There are other types of pets besides tortoises, and that's usually what keeps a pet store alive. There are many more other types of pet than there are tortoise keepers, and you wouldn't be able to make any money on just selling tortoise supplies. I applaud your "intentions" however, I don't think its doable.

Yvonne

I didn't say that these things I listed would be the end of the line... If I was ever to open my own store, it would be when I was rich enough to do it for the love of the hobby rather than profit, anyway :D

Not only that, but all the things listed would be suitable for snakes, too. I have those also :) And an iguana, and turtles, and birds, and horses, and cats, and a dog, and rabbits, and chickens, and goats.... LOL!

Kristina

sushisurf13 said:
can I suggest various plant/flower seeds. Since many reptiles are vegitarians perhaps a variety of edible plant seeds. Lettuce, dandilion..... maybe even advice on how to grow them. i'm sure this would boost your profits.

That is a great idea. Supplying mixes from Carolina Pet Supply, for instance, would be great, and TNT, too.

Kristina

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
a friend of mine owns a pet store and he sells used aquariums and used aguarium stands and he sells alot of them.He also sells alot of feeder mice,rats,crickets etc...I also would not carry many of the torts,monitors or lizzards that get to big.I have seen to many unwanted animals come thru his door.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
What I would do is to carry all the pet supplies that are needed for most pets. I would not sell any type of animals at all except maybe feeder ones. What I would do is have certain types of animals like torts, turtles, and a few others just for display only showing how they are kept using enclosures that are set up correctly. I believe a picture is worth a thousand words and people thinking about getting a pet would remember more about how to care for one if they seen one in real life and how they are kept.

There ya go...my 2 cents :D

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I know I have bought many a used or "leaker" aquarium from a pet store for a discounted price. I think it is great when they sell used tanks.

With the big animals, I just think that most people are not equipped to handle and care for them. That is why I have a Black iguana with a nasty attitude, lol. His previous owner just couldn't take it :)

Kristina

Chucky said:
What I would do is to carry all the pet supplies that are needed for most pets. I would not sell any type of animals at all except maybe feeder ones. What I would do is have certain types of animals like torts, turtles, and a few others just for display only showing how they are kept using enclosures that are set up correctly. I believe a picture is worth a thousand words and people thinking about getting a pet would remember more about how to care for one if they seen one in real life and how they are kept.

There ya go...my 2 cents :D

Actually, that is a REALLY good idea. In not carrying the actual animals it makes it harder for people to impulse buy and end up with something that they can't handle. If people have to do a little more leg work to get the animal itself, I think it helps to weed out the more irresponsible people.

Showing proper set ups would also be great :) I agree, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Kristina

Status
Not open for further replies.