What is that?

Idahorosie1

Location (City and/or State)
EL PASO
My tortoise is now about 10 months old. I have noticed some growth on it's back end, just beside the hind leg. I have a picture. Is this a sex organ that will tell me the sex of my tortoise?

Attachments

• 20231006_123758.jpg
    20231006_123758.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20231006_123646.jpg
    20231006_123646.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5

Idahorosie1

EL PASO
I looked at pictures of the underside of tortoises. The points I saw are just part of the shell. I now know I need to wait alot longer before I will know the sex. I plan to only have one tortoise. Right now it lives in an indoor habitat that has a controlled environment. I hope to be able to keep it there until spring, which will be in about 5 to 6 months, then it will go outside. I plan to let the tortoise roam in the fenced back yard with access to food, water and a hide. I may have to put baby in another container before then as it may outgrow the habitat before spring.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My tortoise is now about 10 months old. I have noticed some growth on it's back end, just beside the hind leg. I have a picture. Is this a sex organ that will tell me the sex of my tortoise?
It took me a minute to even find the tortoise in your pictures. We can't see anything in these pics. Take the tortoise out of the hide, point the nose up toward the sky, and have someone take a picture of the plastron in good light showing the tail and anal scutes.

Your tortoise is pyramiding badly because you are housing and lighting it incorrectly. This does permanent damage each and every day. That is not the correct type of environment for this species, or any other species.

Please read these and correct the mistakes before any more damage is done:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
And please read the threads Tom linked for you and make changes ASAP. With what we can see in the pictures, so much is very wrong.