New growth or new pyramiding

Reserchbeforecommitment

10 Year Member!
Hi everyone,
I have a question about my 20 month old sulcata.I live in southern florida. I have owned him/her since they were 3 months old. I have followed Tom and many others advice and recommendations as closely as I possibly can. The tortoise is kept in a closed chamber warm wet and humid night box for about 14 hours a day the rest of the day is spent outdoors with lots if sunshine and plenty of shade. She has daily outdoor access to tons of weeds and grasses and I add calcium and zoo med grassland tortoise food and cactus a few times a week. My question is about shell growth, I would like to know if the lumpy bits of her shell are old pyramiding from my novice care, and the new growth is healthier, or if in fact this new growth is not coming in as smooth and healthy as I would like. I would love to hear what you all think. Thank you :)
P.s today she weighed 1lb 7 oz

Attachments

• 1409157220325.jpg
    1409157220325.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 170
  • 1409157553892.jpg
    1409157553892.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 166

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
I think I see an improvement :) I'm just not the best at judging these kind of things!

rearlpettway

Hi everyone,
I have a question about my 20 month old sulcata.I live in southern florida. I have owned him/her since they were 3 months old. I have followed Tom and many others advice and recommendations as closely as I possibly can. The tortoise is kept in a closed chamber warm wet and humid night box for about 14 hours a day the rest of the day is spent outdoors with lots if sunshine and plenty of shade. She has daily outdoor access to tons of weeds and grasses and I add calcium and zoo med grassland tortoise food and cactus a few times a week. My question is about shell growth, I would like to know if the lumpy bits of her shell are old pyramiding from my novice care, and the new growth is healthier, or if in fact this new growth is not coming in as smooth and healthy as I would like. I would love to hear what you all think. Thank you :)
P.s today she weighed 1lb 7 oz

Kendall looks the same way as your tortoise does. We have also followed Toms care sheet. Tom told me that it will take time and in 10 years you will have a smooth tortoise.
Here is Kendall.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409163455.747565.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409163489.612963.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409163518.526197.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409163531.749034.jpg

Sent from Rodney Earl Pettway's iPad using TortForum

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
you have VERY minor pyramiding going on but it is there. try using Vita-shell once a week to get the new growth to level out. a $5 tub should last a Sulcata about 8-10 months with proper usage (thin coat, once a week)

Reserchbeforecommitment

10 Year Member!
Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply to me.
I actually use vita shell but perhaps not often enough so I will increase the applications. I also forgot to mention that I soak her everyday for at least 30 mins which she loves and splashes water all over herself :)

Attachments

• 1409237235502.jpg
    1409237235502.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 1409237348944.jpg
    1409237348944.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 59

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You people in humid climates just don't realize how lucky you are..........

RBC, I looked carefully at all your pics. It looks like your tortoise was kept a bit dry for those first three months, and it took another few months for YOUR care to straighten it out. Once that pattern is established it is difficult and time consuming to break, but break it you did. All the more recent new growth looks as excellent as can be. I predict a very large, smooth, healthy tortoise in your future... :) I would change nothing in your routine.

rearlpettway

You people in humid climates just don't realize how lucky you are..........

RBC, I looked carefully at all your pics. It looks like your tortoise was kept a bit dry for those first three months, and it took another few months for YOUR care to straighten it out. Once that pattern is established it is difficult and time consuming to break, but break it you did. All the more recent new growth looks as excellent as can be. I predict a very large, smooth, healthy tortoise in your future... :) I would change nothing in your routine.

Tom,
Thanks for all of your help. We appreciate it.✌️

Sent from Rodney Earl Pettway's iPad using TortForum

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
Looks like he had a dry start but looks to be improving! Cute guy you have there!

Reserchbeforecommitment

10 Year Member!
So, my sulcata tortoise will be 4 years old in September. He/ She lives outdoors and so far this tortoise has grazed what seems like her bodyweight in grass and weeds daily! Walked miles and miles around ever expanding enclosures, dug numerous impressive burrows,sunbathed and slept for hours at a time and has done the same every day of her life. I sure hope all this continues for many many years to come. She has sleeps every night in a heated humid night box ( thanks Tom, etc ) I am currently gathering the parts to copy Toms 4x4x2 ( I think) night box plans. I really really enjoy this tortoise and I really hope we are doing ok together. I am hoping we are doing ok with growth and care, and welcome any opinions and advice here, I know with an absolute certainty I would have already failed her if it was not for the incredible people on this site. Thank you all.