In a pickle

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoda3106

5 Year Member
Hello people, I'm in a pickle!! I fly back to the UK in December for 3weeks for Christmas and looking forward to it but I'm really stuck with what to do with the torts :( December out here can be a bit cold and rainey and sometimes, very stormy!! Being here, I would keep an eye on the situation, but I'm not so......

Do I keep them out in there enclosure for the full 3weeks and get people to feed and check??

Do i get hold of a viv and take it around a friends and let them live in that with a UVB bulb for the whole time?? (no natural sunlight)

Do I section off the majority of there pen and only give them a little bit of an outside area next to there rabbit hutch hide a leave them be?? Having people feed and check??

Do I convert my inside shed into a temp pen and again, get somebody to switch on a light in the am when they feed them then turn it of again in the evening?? (again, no natural sunlight)

Any better ideas out there?? HELP!!

Also worried cause theyve lived outside since April in 30-45degree heat so it's been very natural for them

Thank you dan :)

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
I don't know how many torts you have or their ages, but if I were in your situation, I would bring the torts inside for the 3 weeks (3 weeks with no natural light/only a UVB will not hurt them). This eliminates you and the torts caretaker having to worry about weather and you'll know that your torts are inside and safe and warm for 3 weeks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with the bringing them inside. Also, the shed idea, but with lights on a timer. Then have someone just come and feed and water. No one will care for them like you. So leaving them outside would be a little scary. Temps and weather can be very different just a few miles away. The sitter might have great weather by them and yours might be bad by you. They would 't know the torts needed checking.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
They maybe a little upset being inside but being brought inside is your best bet

Status
Not open for further replies.