What do you grow as food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nm767

5 Year Member
I'm getting ready to get my first sulcata and plan on growing as much food as I possibly can. I looked at the tortoise table.org and see there is just so many options and it made me wander.

What do you sulcata owners currently grow specifically as food for your torts that grows well, is safe, and they enjoy?

Im definitely not one with a green thumb but luckily my fiancé is and she's excited about growing food for our future pet.

Jacob

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Hibisicis, Cactus, Mulberry tree, roses, grasses.
They also sell sulcata graze seed you plant, it has a variety of grasses plants!

Nm767

5 Year Member
What cactus do u grow? Do they grow well and fast?

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
I Grow opuntia cactus with the spines, they sell spineless tho!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
04-08-12a.jpg

I bought some different types of lettuce seeds, which included most of the types you find in Spring Mix, and mixed them all together in a bowl with nastursium, turnip and collards. These three rows of greens are the result. I made a mistake in mixing the larger collards and turnips into the mix because they are effectively blocking out the weaker, smaller lettuces. I can still find some lettuces around the edges of the rows, but none in the middle of the turnips. So I still have to buy spring mix or santa barbara mix to add to the feeding.

The right side of the garden is just weeds. Last year I had tomatoes and egg plant on that side.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I tend to add minerals to the ground, then seed, and then a light layer of soil I will proceed to water. The seeds I use vary, but ones I like include chia, grasses, turnips, and some others of lesser emphasis. Plantago species and various other weeds also form a component.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In the last couple of years, I have started growing more and more. I have not actually paid for any food for months now.
I grow:
Spineless opuntia cactus, at least 4 different types
Another species of opuntia from Chile
Organ pipe cactus
Mulberry trees
Roses
Rose of Sharon
Hibiscus
Grape vines, for the leaves, not the grapes
Various members of the squash family, mostly for the leaves and blossoms
Various lettuces and leafy greens, around 10 or 12 types at any given time... Right now I have mesclun mix, romaine, salad mix, two types of endive, carrots (for the tops), mustard greens, collard greens, arugula, Italian parsley, cilantro, chard, bok choy, and I'm about to start a bunch more, including some peas
African hibiscus
3 different "pasture mix" seed combos with various grasses and other weeds
Alfalfa
Clover
Weeds: mallow, filaree, hawks bit, sow thistle, wild mustard, wild onion, wild garlic, plantain, dandelion, plus a few more that I don't know the names of
Aloe
Elephant bush
Jade plant
Red apple, the succulent
Gazanias
Nasturtiums
Pansies
Cape honeysuckle
... I know there are more, but this is all I can recall at the moment.

Nm767

5 Year Member
Tom said:
In the last couple of years, I have started growing more and more. I have not actually paid for any food for months now.
I grow:
Spineless opuntia cactus, at least 4 different types
Another species of opuntia from Chile
Organ pipe cactus
Mulberry trees
Roses
Rose of Sharon
Hibiscus
Grape vines, for the leaves, not the grapes
Various members of the squash family, mostly for the leaves and blossoms
Various lettuces and leafy greens, around 10 or 12 types at any given time... Right now I have mesclun mix, romaine, salad mix, two types of endive, carrots (for the tops), mustard greens, collard greens, arugula, Italian parsley, cilantro, chard, bok choy, and I'm about to start a bunch more, including some peas
African hibiscus
3 different "pasture mix" seed combos with various grasses and other weeds
Alfalfa
Clover
Weeds: mallow, filaree, hawks bit, sow thistle, wild mustard, wild onion, wild garlic, plantain, dandelion, plus a few more that I don't know the names of
Aloe
Elephant bush
Jade plant
Red apple, the succulent
Gazanias
Nasturtiums
Pansies
Cape honeysuckle
... I know there are more, but this is all I can recall at the moment.

Wow that all sounds incredible. You must have a very large garden area.

Status
Not open for further replies.