How big and how fast do sulcatas grow?

M

Maggie Cummings

In the summer warm rain . In the winter in the Houston area it can be as low as 30 ° . One year it started raining by the time I got to work it was frozen . That is rare thank god . For the most part its middle 50's and rain . That sucks and I don't go outside at all .

Sissie........we've had in the 30's with a sort of a slush falling from the sky. It's 2:30 am right now 28 degrees and iced over. Thanks for new tires.....whew. I don't even have to put the 200 pounds of cement over the back tires for the first time since I've lived here....10 yrs.

M

Maggie Cummings

after seeing this i beleive i have more than enough space, my only problem would be figuring out how to make a good efficient house for him like you have his shed, maybe i could buy something and insulate it and put stuff in myself, if not i might have to build one with my father myself (im horrible at building but my father is pretty good he could me out out :D)

I used a professional who redid a garden shed. All the wiring is under ground and it's totally heated and insulated.

M

Maggie Cummings

OK, here's my easy opinion, an inexperienced person will not know how to keep a big tortoise. Hatchlings are hard for newbies. But, I for instance, AM an experienced Sulcata person and now months after my Bob died, Tina is right, I and my yard need another one. Bob was 117 pounds when he died,. This new tortoise is only 30 pounds and looks nothing like Bob. So my advice is if you are bent on getting a Sulcata, research a lot, talk to all of us with your questions, get his proper place all ready, then get one about 20 to 30 pounds. This will give you a tort that is already started, eating hopefully, etc.. And an easy size for you to start with....

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sissie........we've had in the 30's with a sort of a slush falling from the sky. It's 2:30 am right now 28 degrees and iced over. Thanks for new tires.....whew. I don't even have to put the 200 pounds of cement over the back tires for the first time since I've lived here....10 yrs.
Go ahead call me names . But I hate the cold . ha-ha

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You can go to Home Depot and buy a shed . Then insulate the inside . Run power to it . Install a heater and uvb fixtures in it . Cut a door for your sulcata to enter . Then build a fenced in area for the tortoise and a small pond . It's not cheap trust me . The cost of start up is crazy .