Not as excited about food?

Tortstrip

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
My sulcata is about 6 months old and for the past few days he hasn’t seemed very excited about food like he used to. Usually I soak him for about 30-45 minutes and put out fresh food for him while he’s soaking, and he immediately runs over to the food and eats most of it when I put him back in the enclosure. Here lately though he just walks over and takes a couple bites then wanders around and just goes back in his hide. He does end up eating all of the food, he just munches on it throughout the day instead of eating it all in one sitting like he normally does. I’m sure I’m just being a little paranoid, but should I be worried or is this kind of normal as they get older?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
First thing I would do is check the temps.
If he is warm enough, has uvb and a good varied diet I wouldn't be too worried as long as he is eating. Torts are grazers so they tend to eat then go off to to bask, sleep or explore then eat again later that's why they need food available all day.
Have you read the caresheet for sullies? That will help you.
If you post pics of his enclosure members can see if there's anything that could be affecting his behaviour.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My sulcata is about 6 months old and for the past few days he hasn’t seemed very excited about food like he used to. Usually I soak him for about 30-45 minutes and put out fresh food for him while he’s soaking, and he immediately runs over to the food and eats most of it when I put him back in the enclosure. Here lately though he just walks over and takes a couple bites then wanders around and just goes back in his hide. He does end up eating all of the food, he just munches on it throughout the day instead of eating it all in one sitting like he normally does. I’m sure I’m just being a little paranoid, but should I be worried or is this kind of normal as they get older?
What does he weigh in grams?

What heating, lighting and UV bulbs are you using?

What substrate is he on?

Closed chamber, or open topped enclosure?

What do you feed him?

Tortstrip

Oklahoma
What does he weigh in grams?

What heating, lighting and UV bulbs are you using?

What substrate is he on?

Closed chamber, or open topped enclosure?

What do you feed him?
He’s in a closed chamber with cypress mulch, a UV tube, Che, and flood light as you recommend. It is about 95° in there during the day and 85° at night. I don’t know how much he weighs, I need to get a scale for him but he is growing steadily and is active like normal. I attached a list of food that I feed him

Attachments

• 89F260B9-1016-49AD-8C78-1543EBB65E5E.png
    89F260B9-1016-49AD-8C78-1543EBB65E5E.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 11

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He’s in a closed chamber with cypress mulch, a UV tube, Che, and flood light as you recommend. It is about 95° in there during the day and 85° at night. I don’t know how much he weighs, I need to get a scale for him but he is growing steadily and is active like normal. I attached a list of food that I feed him
What does he weigh?