Very sick russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

iLykeTuRtL3z

5 Year Member
I have had my two Russians for 15 years. Last week one of them passed away very suddenly. Tortoise 1 wasn't very active the day before passing away, I didn't think much of it, it was a cooler day, kind of cloudy. The next day she was dead. A week later my other Russian started becoming inactive. I noticed and immediately gave it a soak. I left for five minutes and my tortoise had crawled to the deeper end and stayed there submerged. I came back and panicked. It was limp I started to rub it and did everything to get it back. I got it "alive" again, and now have it under heat and intense watch. I force fed it today in the morning and now, it threw up what I gave it now but kept its food from earlier. It, today, has started moving ( drag walking) around. It seems too weak to completely support it's head ( it's head is easily moved, he doesn't resist if I try to move his head and doesn't lift his head when he moves ). It also sometimes throws his head back and scoots around in a circle. What do you think is wrong ? I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow (Monday), I haven't been able to take his sooner because this all started Friday after 4 when the vt was already closed.

He did pass watery "stools" the day he "drowned". He also, when he drags himself around sometimes just bites at the air/ground, and he moves backwards at times. Idk If this is any more help. Do you think it is a parasite ?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I would wonder if he ate something he should not have....? Are they outside> Do you use any fertilizer, pesticide, herbicides in or near your enclosure?

iLykeTuRtL3z

5 Year Member
I take them in for the winter but they are outside most of the year. I try not to use any fertilizer or pesticides because I know they eat the grass. I give them romaine lettuce, could that have been tainted ?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Of course the lettuce could have been tainted....it does happen. The symptoms seem severe and rapid....especially if they have been 100% good and active and then spiral that quickly ?????

I would still have a tendency to think that they ingested something....eaten something type of food or even substrate or insect???? I sure do hope your vet visit provides a good and healthy outcome....please let us know, okay?

In the meantime, have you uncreased the heat to no less than 80 and dimmed the lights down to a comfortable level??

iLykeTuRtL3z

5 Year Member
When I turn off the lights it gets scared and starts ramming the sides of his container and bites the air and ground. I think his nose might be clogged with some vomit he keeps running his nose on his arm and he only started doing this after he threw up earlier

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You can clear his notstils with saline solution sprayed in there...quickly but gently....if you leave the lights off a bit does he settle down? I am also wondering if your tort is having an eyesight issue? What type of light bulb are you using? Is it a standard looking bulb or is it one of those curly type?

iLykeTuRtL3z

5 Year Member
Standard light. He just passed a large amount of some orange, clear, slightly think "feces" or what ever this is (about a tablespoon or so )

image-1496828067.png

iLykeTuRtL3z said:
Standard light. He just passed a large amount of some orange, clear, slightly think "feces" or what ever this is (about a tablespoon or so )

It was very liquidy I forgot to mention

He calmed down a lot after passing whatever that was. He stopped thrashing when the light are off

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Poor guy. Let us know how the vet visit goes. What looks like biting the air could be that he's having trouble breathing. How long have you had the tortoises?

If he ingested a toxin, the best thing you can do for him (in addition to taking him to the vet), is to continue frequent soaks to make sure he's getting lots of fluids to flush his system. I'm very sorry to hear about the other one. I hope this one pulls through.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
How's he doing?

sonya

5 Year Member
My turtle is half blind and keeps on biting the air. I think that your turtle may be becoming blind. Tell me how it went.

Status
Not open for further replies.