Is my horsfield healthy?

BigDaveandBoris

I know these are just photos but can you tell if he is healthy or not? Or over weight (if tortoises can get fat) I've had him since Christmas and he has grown.

I'm feeding him Morrisons mixed salad greens mixed lettuces really (without iceburg)

And dandelion diet food.

I've tried feeding him different things like real dandelion but he won't touch it and tomato but he just isn't interested. I've had him 4 month and he is still really timid when I pick him up he wees or poos on me but lately I've been able to stroke his head, even though when he notices it's actually my finger on his head he then retreats to his shell.

Little guy worries me like as if he is a human

Attachments

• 20140428_094133.jpg
    20140428_094133.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
  • 20140428_094147.jpg
    20140428_094147.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 43

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Did you ever change the substrate in the enclosure? Those pebble things do not allow a tort that is a premium master digger to do what he is designed to do....this species of tort have the skill to dig itself down into the earth several feet...I would use a substrate that is earth like and I would make that substrate no less than6 inches deep....Also, this species is a climber and a pacer, so please prohibit him from causing harm to himself and be sure to account for this natural behavior....I would also add some plants (living or silk/fake) so that the tort can hide from place to place and actually utilize more of the enclosure....also, if the heating in the home is off and temps are cool..then your tort enclosure is unstable in the temps....you will want to cover most of the top so the warmth can settle and some humidity can be generated.....

Good looking tort.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I would get rid of the white stuff as well, only because they like to eat EVERYTHING. Mine ate a decently sized rock last week and I had to change her bedding.

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Neck skin makes it look like he's wearing a hoodie!

There are soooo many other things you can feed him in addition to the salad mix. Are you offering the dandelion flower or the leaves?

http://www.tortoiselady.co.uk/page6.htm

And that substrate has to go - ouch, ouch, ouch on little feet, in addition to not providing any opportunity to dig.

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
That's a very nice russian I like the second pic a lot !