What can I do to encourage eating?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
He looks very alert. It’s great to see him wandering around and checking things out. Definitely doesn’t look ill. You have received excellent advice here already. Keep your temps good, humidity on point and keep putting the food out, even if you don’t think he will eat it. Have you tried possibly holding a leaf near his mouth to see if he will go for it? My tortoise can be a bit of a princess from time to time. If I notice he’s not eating his food, I’ll try holding a piece near his mouth and he will usually eat It. Generally once I get him going he will continue eating on his own. Something to try. In general, try and give him his space. He might be nervous in his new environment and surroundings. Allowing him to settle in will make a big difference. If you feel the need to watch what he’s up to, try installing an inexpensive wifi camera on his enclosure that you can watch from outside of the room he’s in. In no time he will realize you aren’t there to cause him any harm and that you’re actually the food god! 🙂
I agree with a camera. I bought a mobi baby Cam that has an app for my phone. I found it on sale and have had no trouble with it at all for $29. It's great for an indoor enclosure. You can even watch it from miles away from home on your phone. You learn a lot 😜. As far as I know they don't have an outdoor WiFi camera though. I wish they would.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I agree with a camera. I bought a mobi baby Cam that has an app for my phone. I found it on sale and have had no trouble with it at all for $29. It's great for an indoor enclosure. You can even watch it from miles away from home on your phone. You learn a lot 😜. As far as I know they don't have an outdoor WiFi camera though. I wish they would.
Same! really wanting a reasonably priced outdoor camera...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Same! really wanting a reasonably priced outdoor camera...
I found a Feit that worked pretty good for a year or a little more. It was about $89 and I was able to get an 11% rebate on it from Menards.The last time it failed to reconnect to WiFi but I haven't given up on it yet. So I unplugged it and uninstalled the app. I'll try again when I get the mental energy to start over with it. It got pretty good pictures and videos of my hummingbirds. The only problem with it is you have to bring it in to recharge it. If you let the battery go dead it loses the WiFi connection which is what I did.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I found a Feit that worked pretty good for a year or a little more. It was about $89 and I was able to get an 11% rebate on it from Menards.The last time it failed to reconnect to WiFi but I haven't given up on it yet. So I unplugged it and uninstalled the app. I'll try again when I get the mental energy to start over with it. It got pretty good pictures and videos of my hummingbirds. The only problem with it is you have to bring it in to recharge it. If you let the battery go dead it loses the WiFi connection which is what I did.
I already have a nest system tho Fezzik's enclosure is at the far end of my wifi range. Also if I want to do livestream (Fezzing The Boring Tortoise TM) that won't cut it

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I already have a nest system tho Fezzik's enclosure is at the far end of my wifi range. Also if I want to do livestream (Fezzing The Boring Tortoise TM) that won't cut it
Do you mean a Feit camera? Mark is better with cameras then me on what you might mean and need. His user name is Maro2bear.

Kevboosh

California
What platform do you stream on? I've been having a whole lot of fun streaming art and games on twitch. I'm considering putting a little mascot camera on Coaster down the line when he's comfortable.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
What platform do you stream on? I've been having a whole lot of fun streaming art and games on twitch. I'm considering putting a little mascot camera on Coaster down the line when he's comfortable.
I would likely to YT, tho I'm also on twitch, but YT is much more a market for watching boring nature videos. Twitch only if someone could play-shoot at him :cool:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
What's funny is you can actually post videos better with utube. Or the little WiFi cameras that have an app on your phone 😊at least on TFO. I can't post one yet directly from my phone unless it goes through one of those first 🤔

Kevboosh

California
I would likely to YT, tho I'm also on twitch, but YT is much more a market for watching boring nature videos. Twitch only if someone could play-shoot at him :cool:
I dont know how youtube works or if it has these sorts of things but, on twitch, you can set it up to be interactive. Can let people spend "points" or pay a small fee to do stuff like switch to a different camera or maybe control the music. You can just stream on both youtube and twitch at the same time. Use your twitch to advertise your youtube channel and vice versa.

I dont want to be on camera so I drew a silly little tortoise gif and use a simple computer program to make it change facial expressions and move it's mouth when it talks. Here's some outdated examples. I'm not comfortable advertising but you folks seems like you might enjoy these drawings :)

Kevboosh

California
I dont know how youtube works or if it has these sorts of things but, on twitch, you can set it up to be interactive. Can let people spend "points" or pay a small fee to do stuff like switch to a different camera or maybe control the music. You can just stream on both youtube and twitch at the same time. Use your twitch to advertise your youtube channel and vice versa.

I dont want to be on camera so I drew a silly little tortoise gif and use a simple computer program to make it change facial expressions and move it's mouth when it talks. Here's some outdated examples. I'm not comfortable advertising but you folks seems like you might enjoy these drawings :)
Woops, I guess you cant post gifs. Disregard the second paragraph

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
You managed to post a video. It was pretty cute 🤔How did you?😉😊

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles

Yeah but twitch is more effort than my time is worth. I only want something a little fun. I used to watch a person who did beaver rescue and she has a livestream on her outdoor pond where VERY LITTLE ever happened, but still got lots of views.

Kevboosh

California
Yeah but twitch is more effort than my time is worth. I only want something a little fun. I used to watch a person who did beaver rescue and she has a livestream on her outdoor pond where VERY LITTLE ever happened, but still got lots of views.
Well, when you start, I'd be happy to watch.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
You can see the little tortoise gif? Or are you talking about the video of coaster that I posted yesterday?
I'm talking about the video. I can't post a video taken with my phone camera here but I can with one of my WiFi cameras that still comes from my phone. For some reason there's a difference. I didn't see the gif.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I'm talking about the video. I can't post a video taken with my phone camera here but I can with one of my WiFi cameras that still comes from my phone. For some reason there's a difference. I didn't see the gif.
I wonder if its the size of the file?

Kevboosh

California
Posting the video directly from my phone didnt work for me either so I had to upload the video to youtube and just post the link