How to make tortoise eat other foods?

Sivakrishna

Hi guys
I have a hermanns tortoise he only eats lettuce!.I gave cucumber carrot but he didnt touch it.can u pls tell me how to make him eat cucumber n carrot. I tried keepin it inside lettuce n giving it but he only ate lettuce! Pls help
Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
He's not supposed to be eating cucumber and carrot. Try other leafy greens like prickly lettuce, dandelion, clover, etc. Hermanni are browsers and eat broad-leaf plants and grasses, not fruits (cucumber) and vegetables (carrot).

Sivakrishna

He's not supposed to be eating cucumber and carrot. Try other leafy greens like prickly lettuce, dandelion, clover, etc. Hermanni are browsers and eat broad-leaf plants and grasses, not fruits (cucumber) and vegetables (carrot).

K thank you!

Alaskamike

South Florida
I had a client ( I used to be a therapist ) who complained her little toddler only would eat fruit & macaroni & cheese

When asked what else she feeds her she said she always puts whatever else they are having on her plate but she ignores it & just eats the fruit & Mac & cheese ( & cookies for desert & snacks)

I suggested she stop putting fruit & Mac & cheese out , just whatever else the family is eating - she paled & exclaimed " I couldn't do that - she'd starve !"

"And stop with the cookies " I added

" But she'll cry !" The women moaned.

"Then just keep feeding her carbs & sugar till she's fat, unhealthy & miserable " I suggested.

The point of this ?
- sometimes we have to be hungry before we'll eat what's good for us.
- sometimes as caregivers we need to put our feelings aside & do what's best for our charges.

If you stop putting out head lettus entirely , and set out a variety of good greens to eat , eventually, when he gets hungry, he'll eat it & be no worse for wear.

Tough love. :)

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
@Sivakrishna, you are a brand new member, it looks like?

Can you tell us a little more about your tortoise and your enclosure before we jump into food discussion? :)

OOPS, I see you have already posted a separate thread about your tortoise in general.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Go over our Hermans care sheets, posts and food lists. There are lots of things that you can feed that will be easy to come by and not harmful, like sugary or watery foods.

Sivakrishna

@Sivakrishna, you are a brand new member, it looks like?

Can you tell us a little more about your tortoise and your enclosure before we jump into food discussion? :)

OOPS, I see you have already posted a separate thread about your tortoise in general.

Hi!
My enclosure is a tortoise table. Ys im a new member. I think my tortoise isnt eating anything else is coz he was only fed lettuce since hes a hatchling!.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Hi!
My enclosure is a tortoise table. Ys im a new member. I think my tortoise isnt eating anything else is coz he was only fed lettuce since hes a hatchling!.

Perhaps it's the lettuce but very often the issue is that the enclosure is too warm or too hot, something like that.

Please continue asking questions about your enclosure in the other thread and once you're confident everything is set up right, we'll talk about food. The enclosure is always the most important thing when getting a tortoises started.