What can I do to encourage eating?

Kevboosh

Location (City and/or State)
California
Coaster, my new, adult russian still hasnt eaten after a week. I know I probably shouldn't be worried but I can't help it :( he gave a piece of cucumber a nice long sniff today but that's all. The first two soaks I gave him induced a poop, so I know he ate before I got him and isn't constipated. His urates have been gooey, not grainy so I think that means he's adequately hydrated. I've given him a short soak almost every day. I've tried a lot of different foods. Cucumber, cilantro, a big variety of healthy greens. I've even tried giving him tiny pieces of apple, plantain and watermelon which I know is wrong.. is there anything I havent tried that could help? I've got a nice, much bigger home to move him into. I'm just waiting for him to eat before I do that. I'm not pestering him and he isnt showing any fear of me. He isnt interested in doing anything other than a single bask, a lap or two around his house, then he buries himself for the rest of the day unless I move him back into his basking area, in which case, he repeats his routine. When he basks, he acts very aware and looks around.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would move him into his new home now. They don't like change and he might stop eating when you move him. So no sense in getting him to eat, just to move him and him possibly stop eating again
Try some romaine, some carrot baby food smeared on greens, ridicchio, arugula. Keep him hydrated is important. They can go a long time without eating. Just keep giving him food.

Kevboosh

California
Maybe I should just go ahead and move him into his bigger home? Add in the soil from his current one so it smells more like him? Could more space and higher walls do more good than another relocation would do bad?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Maybe I should just go ahead and move him into his bigger home? Add in the soil from his current one so it smells more like him? Could more space and higher walls do more good than another relocation would do bad?
Soil should not be used in tortoise enclosures.

Kevboosh

California
Double check your temperatures. When you bath, what temperature are you bathing at and for how long?
I bathe him at 95 degrees. Earlier in the day before he's fully warmed up so that he sits still and enjoys it. 10-20 minutes. Basically, I just go until he tries to leave the water for about 5-10 minutes. I'm doing it every day. His house is a plastic kiddie pool so the heat escapes it too fast. Until I get more ceramic heat emitters, I've just been keeping my house's heater close to or at 80 degrees. The temperature under his substrate is very cool.

Kevboosh

California
I've got one coming in the mail but, since I moved him into his bigger, harder to heat kiddie pool, I'm going to buy him another ceramic heat emitter first thing tomorrow. I feel like the biggest problem with keeping him warm enough is that, even when he uses his hide, he still buries himself a little and the soil is very cool. He's only gotten back up and returned to his basking spot on his own once.

LJL1982

UK
I bathe him at 95 degrees. Earlier in the day before he's fully warmed up so that he sits still and enjoys it. 10-20 minutes. Basically, I just go until he tries to leave the water for about 5-10 minutes. I'm doing it every day. His house is a plastic kiddie pool so the heat escapes it too fast. Until I get more ceramic heat emitters, I've just been keeping my house's heater close to or at 80 degrees. The temperature under his substrate is very cool.
So several points there. The room is cool at 80, for him...you must be boiling, but also a room at head height at 80f could be significantly cooler at floor height as in 10 to 20 degrees cooler. That's too cool for him to eat.

He would ideally be at basking temps to eat and digest his food. The best bet is to heat him up in his bath, and then get him to eat straight away, yet you are bathing him in cold water!

He needs his water to be as hot as you would bath a child. Keep it that warm for 20 mins, of you need to changing the water, then get him to eat. You really need a heat gun, drugstores in the UK have them very cheaply as does amazon since covid. You need to be able to see how hot is substrate and Basking spot actually is. In the meantime make sure his paddling pool is at least on a high surface subject to any risk he can get out and fall.

It sounds really like this isn't working out in his current enclosure. If it keeps him safe great. I have an a**hole of a tortoise who has a great enclosure. He goes mad in it. He is a disaster whatever I try. So he has a recycling box (a 1ft by 2ft by 2ft deep plastic box, with a flood bulb hanging over it drilled and fixed on an l bracket to the outside). He has a blast for a couple of hours or even an hour to heat him up before I feed him, he eats and then he's put in a safe place to have his day. Could you effect something similar to give him a focused heat blast every day for half an hour or so?

I'd bath hotter first. I'm talking 120f-ish for whole 15 to 20 mins...you should get him out and he should feel like a warm stone. Then feed him. Male sure his bath is deep enough too. So deep enough that he can submerge his head and tail. Supervise him 😊

Kevboosh

California
So several points there. The room is cool at 80, for him...you must be boiling, but also a room at head height at 80f could be significantly cooler at floor height as in 10 to 20 degrees cooler. That's too cool for him to eat.

He would ideally be at basking temps to eat and digest his food. The best bet is to heat him up in his bath, and then get him to eat straight away, yet you are bathing him in cold water!

He needs his water to be as hot as you would bath a child. Keep it that warm for 20 mins, of you need to changing the water, then get him to eat. You really need a heat gun, drugstores in the UK have them very cheaply as does amazon since covid. You need to be able to see how hot is substrate and Basking spot actually is. In the meantime make sure his paddling pool is at least on a high surface subject to any risk he can get out and fall.

It sounds really like this isn't working out in his current enclosure. If it keeps him safe great. I have an a**hole of a tortoise who has a great enclosure. He goes mad in it. He is a disaster whatever I try. So he has a recycling box (a 1ft by 2ft by 2ft deep plastic box, with a flood bulb hanging over it drilled and fixed on an l bracket to the outside). He has a blast for a couple of hours or even an hour to heat him up before I feed him, he eats and then he's put in a safe place to have his day. Could you effect something similar to give him a focused heat blast every day for half an hour or so?

I'd bath hotter first. I'm talking 120f-ish for whole 15 to 20 mins...you should get him out and he should feel like a warm stone. Then feed him. Male sure his bath is deep enough too. So deep enough that he can submerge his head and tail. Supervise him 😊
My faucet, turned as hot as it goes, barely goes to 120. 120 is scalding. I wouldnt bathe my tortoise, a child or myself in that. Please dont give me advice again.

LJL1982

UK
My faucet, turned as hot as it goes, barely goes to 120. 120 is scalding. I wouldnt bathe my tortoise, a child or myself in that. Please dont give me advice again.
I've amended to 110 which is childsafe guidance in UK

LJL1982

UK

Water temperature should be tested ahead of putting the tortoise in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like you are doing everything right and you understand the concepts. Wild caught tortoises sometimes take a while to acclimate to captive conditions. All you can do is keep trying. Observe his behavior and you will intuitively figure out what methods help or don't help.

Warmer weather is finally here, so a large outside enclosure might also help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

95 is fine for water temp. Even 90. 95-100 is a basking temp.
80 enclosure temp is not too cold. The area should range from 75-80 with the basking of 95-100. Night temps can go down into the 60's.
All temps should be monitored at tort level.
120ish for soaking is too hot. The water only needs to go just barely above where the lower and upper shell meet. A heat blast as you say is not a good idea unless he can move out of it should be want too.
I suggest you read the care sheet and maybe be careful on giving advice until you read the care sheet.

Last edited:

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

Did you try the 'experiment' I recommended when you previously advised using 120*F water? Put your hand in 120*F water for 20 minutes and tell me how 'pleasant' it is. I prefer very hot water and I doubt I would continue for more than 5 minutes max.

120*f is dangerously hot for soaking. At that temperature, you are not soaking or bathing; you are cooking turtle soup. You are forcing their body temperatures to rise to a point that can be fatal.

Realistically, anything over 100*F can be dangerous. For tortoises and children.

I've amended to 110 which is childsafe guidance in UK

Please provide this source that recommends 110*f. Good luck finding anything that recommends more than 100*f

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Can a moderator please delete that message so that somebody doesnt find it while googling and end up torturing their tortoise to death?
If you don't like what someone says...ignore. But in my opinion, instead of spending money for more che's build or spend money on a much bigger habitat, especially for an adult Russian...can he be put outside safely? What part of California are you? When I have a stressed tort like yours I make things quiet for him, make sure he has a good basking light, and a place to 'hide'. He will be stressed out from moving for several days, but you still need to 'soak' him daily, and continue to offer food. They LOVE red, so radicchio is great to get them eating...be patient...