Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
emysemys said:
jrholls said:
I just bought "Along came a spider" by James Patterson. It's the first in the Alex Cross series. I'm looking forward to it, anyone read Patterson?

I'm going to go OT a little and I hope the original poster will please excuse me:

I've tried to go back to the beginning and see if Patterson ever tells us that Alex Cross is black. Last year I saw a James Patterson movie on TV and Alex Cross was played by Morgan Freeman. I had read quite a few of that series and never got the feel that Alex was black.

I don't remember him mentioning it one way or the other.

I love all the old classics. "To Kill A Mockingbird", "The Count Of Monte Cristo", "The Odessy", "The Grapes of Wrath", "The Great Gatsby", "1984", "Lord Of The Flies" etc...

I also love Stephen King and Koontz too. I've read a lot of theirs too.

Mostly I just read S.W.A.T. Magazine anymore.

My favorite recent books are "Star Tortoises" by Jerry Fife, "Allpet Roaches" and "Giant Tarantulas", both by Orin McMonigle.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
CtTortoiseMom said:
Has any one ever read the Janet Evanovich series? Soooooo good! They are a guilty pleasure of mine and I am madly in love with Ranger!!

Oh, yes! I have them all. There are also some other Stephanie Plum books that aren't in the 1,2,3 series. I especially love Grama Mazur.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
emysemys said:
CtTortoiseMom said:
Has any one ever read the Janet Evanovich series? Soooooo good! They are a guilty pleasure of mine and I am madly in love with Ranger!!

Oh, yes! I have them all. There are also some other Stephanie Plum books that aren't in the 1,2,3 series. I especially love Grama Mazur.

I love Lula as much as Gramma Mazur. The real question is Joe Morelli or Ranger??

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
OH how I LOVE LOVE LOVE this thread. I am going to go get my pad and write some of these books down.
Love Evanovich like mad. I started to listen to books on tape in my car and the first time I heard "Ranger say "Babe" it was sooo weird!
Trilogy of the girl with the dragon tattoo, one of the best books and best followed movie of all time!!
Patterson, Michael Connelly, Sue Grafton all good. How about Patricia Cornwall?? (Kay Scarpetta series?)
Oh and Ken Folliet (sp?) Great great!!
ALso the Twilight series, first thing I ever shared with my teenage son, that was really strange, but loved both the experience and the books.
I just like reading, right now I am reading the Hungry Ocean, by a woman Linda Greenlaw, who is a woman swordfish Captain. Wow!
Thanks all.

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
Okay .... so kinda off the path. What was the FIRST "grown up" book you all read. Meaning as a kid, (even tho some of you ARE kids) not something you had to read for school or a childrens book but your first "I think I feel like reading" book.
For me, I think - because it was a really long time ago, it was "Where the Red Fern grows" ...
As a little kid I had a subscription for all the Dr. Suess books. Wish I still had them. Have no idea where they went. And also had a sub for "The Happy Hollisters." I've yet to meet anyone who has heard of those. They were from the 60's early 70s.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Stephen King's "IT". My head spun. Next was "Skeleton Crew". Loved that one. I was around 10 and having major family problems. I LIVED in those books. It was my escape from a very unpleasant reality.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
The first adult book... John Saul 'Suffer the Children' I couldnt put it down.. I was about 12... at a beach house in Pacific Grove....

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Hmmm...The first book I wanted to read? I am not really sure. Probably Are You There God It's Me Margret. Or something else by that same author. I can't remember her name. I loved to read as a young girl and still do.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I was probably 15 and I read "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" by Milan Kundera.
I orig read it to impress a senior, but I ended up loving it. Funny thing, high school boys don't care what you are reading!

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
Tom said:
Stephen King's "IT". My head spun. Next was "Skeleton Crew". Loved that one. I was around 10 and having major family problems. I LIVED in those books. It was my escape from a very unpleasant reality.

Its sad but books are great for escaping ... I do the same thing even now, tho things arent horrible here just stressful at times. But yeah, as a kid, there are times when one just needs to go "someplace" else and books can put you there.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
When I was a little girl, I was sick for a long time, and was mostly in my room or in bed. My older cousin came to visit me and gave me Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie. I was 8 years old. It was the first time I didn't care that I was sick. I was in "Never, Never Land" and never wanted to come back.

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
Where the Red Fern Grows & Stepping on the Cracks (I think that's right) are 2 of the first books I can remember reading. I was able to go meet the author of Stepping on the Cracks thru school & got my book signed, it was pretty cool.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Today's book is Death Echo by Elizabeth Lowell. It's not rating very high at all in my opinion. Can't wait til it's tomorrow (I usually only take a day to read a book, so tomorrow means maybe something I can really get into).

First book, like I can remember what I read last year? lol. It would have no doubt been something like a Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, or perhaps it's was, "The Peppers and how they grew" (atleast I think that's what it was called. It was about a family called the Peppers). Would have been about 45 years ago.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
first one ? most likely superfudge sad book for turtle lovers

jrholls

5 Year Member
Maine
My first grown up book was also "It" by SK, so interesting that someone else read that first as well...went from there to "The Stand", then "The Gunslinger", one of my all time favorites (whole series).

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
jackrat said:
Hunter S.Thompson,Ayn Rand,Larry Mcmurtry,Bertrand Russell,or Aldus Huxley.

Great list there.

The Fountainhead and A Brave New World are hands down two of my favorites.

Add to that: The Count of Monte Cristo, Pillars of the Earth and It.

That makes up my top five.

A Confederacy of Dunces is one that has come up a few times. Many people who I respect greatly have recommended that book to me. For some reason, I just can't get through it!

I also have to add: The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Classics that just won't quit.

I am also a fan of any Tom Robbins title.

To add to my wife's original post, Three Cups of Tea and the follow up Stones into Schools are well worth reading. I recommend them to anyone. We are heading out to see the author speak next month. Should be a good time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ooh. I forgot about Tolkien. One of my all time favorites. I LIVED in middle earth for a time during my childhood.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Tom said:
Ooh. I forgot about Tolkien. One of my all time favorites. I LIVED in middle earth for a time during my childhood.

The fun part is that now our daughter is getting into it. That being said, she does still get that "you are such a nerd" look in her eyes if I get too into my Middle Earth discussions. Not sure which makes me more of a geek in her eyes, the Star Wars stuff or the Lord of the Rings stuff. Either way, she is convinced I am a geek, and I am ok with that!

Status
Not open for further replies.