What Are You Reading or favorite book

Status
Not open for further replies.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
Hi, I just wanted to share what I am reading and maybe even learn what some of you are reading..

I am currently reading an amazing book called "Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson. It is a true story about his descent down K2 after a failed attempt to summit. He loses his way and ends up in a remote village at the base of the mountain in Pakistan. The people in the village have so little but give so much. In order to repay this village for their kindness Greg say's he will build them a school. He then takes you on his tireless and exhaustive journey to keep his promise. I am purposefully being vague in case anyone wants to read it. I am not finished with it but already feel it has changed my life.

My favorite book eva' is Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I heard about Three Cups of Tea at a staff meeting last year. I forgot about it though until you just mentioned it- I'll have to read it!
I'm currently reading "The First Days of School" by Harry Wong. Education nerd here :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
$$$ has been in short supply lately, so I'm re-reading some of the books in my library. I'm in the "H's" and reading something by Tami Hoag. I love her stories.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I just finished the last Jodi Picoult book. I have read them all now. I can't remember what the book I am reading now is called. I love to read and hate when I find a good author and run out of their books.

mywildlove

5 Year Member
New York
My husband read Three Cups of Tea and thought it was amazing. I haven't read it yet, but I definitely will. I just finished Atlas Shrugged after a year and a half - I kept having to walk away and come back to it, and I have to say, I respect it as a book, and she's a fantastic writer, but it will be a long time before I attempt to tackle another Ayn Rand. It's a commitment!

One of the best books I have read recently in terms of it just being a great story was Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. If you haven't read it already, I highly recommend it.

Love the post, and can't wait to see what others think!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Microtrumpet said:
I have been reading the Rick Riordan Percy Jackson books and his new series Heros of Oylmpus. I know that they are intended for children and young adult but as an adult I will say this they are very well written and a great story line. I am also reading some Patrick Robinson books currently.

I love that series! My 11 year old started reading it and got me into it. We both finished the series and she just finished the first book of his new series. I also like a lot of young adult. Truthfully, I read anything and everything.

Kalina

5 Year Member
Right now I'm reading Keiko's Story, but my 10 year old step daughter has all the "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" books and i can't put them down once I start reading them...hahahaha Yeah yeah, I know they're kids books...heehee!!
That "Three Cups of Tea" sounds interesting, may have to look out for that one... Last year I read a few books, The Bridget Jones Diary 1 and 2, Michael Jackson Biography *hanging head in shame....lol

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
I read a lot and I read rather quickly according to the wife (I read an average 350pg. book in 1 sitting).Mostly I read true stories of Vietnam or WW2,Holocaust,POW,etc.

I just downloaded a new book called "The rape of Europe"..it's basically about all the art work and riches the Germans stole (and destroyed)..I'll probally read that Sunday

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
mywildlove said:
My husband read Three Cups of Tea and thought it was amazing. I haven't read it yet, but I definitely will. I just finished Atlas Shrugged after a year and a half - I kept having to walk away and come back to it, and I have to say, I respect it as a book, and she's a fantastic writer, but it will be a long time before I attempt to tackle another Ayn Rand. It's a commitment!

One of the best books I have read recently in terms of it just being a great story was Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. If you haven't read it already, I highly recommend it.

Love the post, and can't wait to see what others think!

I just downloaded "Water for Elephants" it sounds really good, thanks. I Also saw that a movie is being made based on it with Robert Pattinson.

Sirius

5 Year Member
I am and always will be an raging Harry Potter fan. I am currently re-reading again and am on the 7th book. I'm sure many people have read them, but if you have, read them again! Its amazing how much you forget. And if you've been hiding under a rock and not read them I highly suggest it! The hype is completely deserved. The books progress amazingly with clever plots and very interesting subplots. And they grow over time, JK Rowling does a fantastic job aging Harry, and since he is the "eyes" for the story, the books grow with him. They start out fun, wild and zany and slowly develop into a complex, emotional and dark story. If you think you know them from the movies, you are completely wrong and there is so much you miss out on, read them!

Alright, just had to proclaim my love for the series.

I too, also read Water for Elephants and it was very good. They are making a movie with Robert Pattinson and Reese Witherspoon which should be out soon, so hurry and read the book before the movie comes out.

Recent reads for me would be Alibi by Sydney Bauer, a wonderful law/legal thriller with great twists that I highly recommend and How Starbucks Saved My Life which was a nice, inspirational novel that I would also recommend.

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
My wife did that with the Harry Potter books as well...went back and read them again.I could never read the same book twice...Well,when I read War and Peace I read a lot of pages twice.That was a hard read.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I am a long-time fan of Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Mario Vargas Llosa. My favorite Marquez books are Love in the Time of Cholera and Of Love and Other Demons. My favorite Llosas are Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter and The Storyteller. My library "find an author" program recommended Isabel Allende for me, so I listened to Inez of My Soul on CD (while I was quilting) and loved it! I read a lot of children's and young adult books and value well-crafted prose wherever I find it.

tobibaby

5 Year Member
SoCal
right now i am reading Even Silence Has An End by Ingrid Betancourt true story about her being in captivity for 6 yrs in the Columbian jungle in the hands of the guerillas called FARC. she was running for presidency in 2002 and in the midst of it she was captured.. pretty interesting

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
my favorite book of all time is "A Confederacy of Dunces", by John Kennedy Toole. AMAZING book.

jwhite

5 Year Member
west milwaukee,wi
I just finished Rose Madder by Stephen King, had some time to do easy reading before school started up again. I now have to read Shakespeare and find time to study so no fun reading till summer.

Jon

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Currently my reading has been online learning all about Greek Tortoises, researching enclosures and creating vivariums so instead of reading a book at this time I am listening to one when I drive. "Decision Point" written and read by George W Bush.

I love Nicholas Sparkes and have read just about every book he has written with my favorite being the Notebook. I love a good tear jerker romance.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
I havent read a book in a really long time. Probably the beginning of last year was the last time I read a book. I love the book The Host by Stephanie Meyer. I am a twilight BOOK fan the movies are extremely cheesy and to be honest I don't think Kristen Stewart is a great actress. But my all time favorite book is a Tale of Two Cities. I love Charles Dickens!!! I like trying to decipher the language of back then. I haven't found any books lately that have grabbed my interest though.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Red Earth Exotics said:
my favorite book of all time is "A Confederacy of Dunces", by John Kennedy Toole. AMAZING book.

I read "The Confederacy of Dunces" years ago when I heard Arty Lang say he loved it on the Howaed Stern show. Interesting book.

C

cyril ali

Whole day I am busy with my work but in my free time I read books. I read many books but my favourite book is harry porter book. This is great book. This book is interesting and adventure book.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I read the instructions to program my TV remote controle. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.