What Are You Reading or favorite book

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamburg,AR
I am currantly reading a short story by my brother,who writes under the name John Arkwright.It was a finalist in this year's L.Ron Hubbard's most promising writers.I love anything by Hunter S.Thompson,Ayn Rand,Larry Mcmurtry,Bertrand Russell,or Aldus Huxley.A confederacy of Dunces is one of my all time favorites!

jrholls

5 Year Member
Maine
I just bought "Along came a spider" by James Patterson. It's the first in the Alex Cross series. I'm looking forward to it, anyone read Patterson?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
jrholls said:
I just bought "Along came a spider" by James Patterson. It's the first in the Alex Cross series. I'm looking forward to it, anyone read Patterson?

I'm going to go OT a little and I hope the original poster will please excuse me:

I've tried to go back to the beginning and see if Patterson ever tells us that Alex Cross is black. Last year I saw a James Patterson movie on TV and Alex Cross was played by Morgan Freeman. I had read quite a few of that series and never got the feel that Alex was black.

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
Besides all my school books on education I am reading a book called The Lost Cyclist. It is about a guy in the late 1880s who sets off to ride his bicycle around the world. He ends up disappearing in Turkey and another cyclist goes looking for him. It is a true story and a good read so far.

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
Fantasy fiction reader here (lol .. @ the remote manual read) recently went thru a re-reading frenzy too. Didnt read Harry Potter tho. Favorite Sci-fantasy writer is RA Salvatore.

Cathy L

5 Year Member
Central Coast of California
Most recently I read the Stieg Larson Trilogy as well and my class and I just finished an old book, The Wheel on the School which is great for older kids and adults as well. My favorite author of all time is Barbara Kingsolver. I love her book, Prodigal Summer.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I love of mice an men, great read, right now I just finished reading world war Z and I am currently reading the first immortal. I am a geek and love scifi and fantasy.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Jhumpa Lahiri's Unaccustomed Earth & Oliver Sacks' The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Cathy L said:
Most recently I read the Stieg Larson Trilogy as well and my class and I just finished an old book, The Wheel on the School which is great for older kids and adults as well. My favorite author of all time is Barbara Kingsolver. I love her book, Prodigal Summer.

I read all of Barbara Kingsolver's books and "Prodigal Summer" was my absolute favorite!! She is an amazing writter.

jrholls said:

I like James Patterson but never read that series. Let me know if it is good.

Right now I am reading a shameless piece of chic lit called "Millie's Fling" by Jill Mansell. It is the perfect read for sitting on the beach drinking some fruity girly drink.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
J.White~ Poor you I hate Shakespeare. Though I have heard not all are as bad a Romeo and Juliet.

Marty~ have you read TO Kill A Mockingbird? It is one of my all time favorites and one I made my son read in 7th grade. The school made hime read it in 9th grade. Another one I think all young people should read is THE AUTOBIOAGRAPHY OF MALCOME X.

I am reading a boring book that my youngest son got me for Christmas at the school used book sale. It is called TRUE BELEIVER.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Another good book for Marty is "The Count of Monte CrIsto" by Alexandre Dumas. Great, great book! Ooooh or if you are looking for some current fun reads there is the Hunger Game trilogy by Suzanne Collins and of course the Twilight Series which I am embarrassed to say I LOVED. Okay, I'll stop I didn't want tooutmyself as a giant nerd this early on. C'est la vie.

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
I got a Kindle for Valentine's Day (Yay!) and am reading a book called "A Small Furry Prayer" by Steven Kotler. It's about a guy & his girlfriend, both writers from LA that move to New Mexico to run a chihuahua rescue and he writes about thier trials & tribulations in rescue & him trying to make sense of his life. It's a good read, there's a quote from the book I like as a chihuahua momma, "Sure my posse is mostly crippled chihuahuas but you'd be surprised how much *** a crippled chihuahua can kick" Ha ha! I like all the suggestions on the books, I'm going to add some to my Kindle wish list :)

fhintz

5 Year Member
Fort Myers, FL
Typically, I'm a fantasy novel reader. My favorite series is Kate Elliott's "Crown of Stars".

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I wish Barbara Kingsolver would write another book. I love all of her books. I think my favorite was The Poison Wood Bible, but I loved ALL of them.
My husband got a kendle from his I.T. guy for X-Mas. It is mine now but I haven't bought any books yet.
Has anyone read $#@! My Dad Says? It was a real quick read, but SOOOOOO funny. I guess I also liked it because they lived in San Diego.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I have Kindle, Nook and Ibooks on my Ipad. Kindle is consistently the cheapest to download from. Someone told me that you can share books on kindle with other kindle users for free and our library has a website for kindle users to borrow books online!! After the alloted "check out" period they just disapear! Pretty crazy that libraries are digitizing to avoid becoming obsolete!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
LOVE James patterson.. His Alex cross series are great.. so are the womens murder club.. '1st to die' is the first one..
Dean Koontz, reading Mr Murder now.. King..
My sister had me reading the Anna Pigeon series.. I cant recall the Authur.. She is good. Anna is the Character.. she is a Ranger in National parks all over the US.. She gets into all sorts of trouble, people and animal.. good books.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Dean Koontz is way too scary. I went through a Ann Rule phase. I like true crime/murder investigation books. I guess that is kind of strange. The one type of book I have never been able to finish is self help. They really bore me. I did like Heres The Deal DO"NT Touch Me by Howie Mondel though. He also has OCD, so I could relate.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Has any one ever read the Janet Evanovich series? Soooooo good! They are a guilty pleasure of mine and I am madly in love with Ranger!!

Status
Not open for further replies.