What a Surprise!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
S. Oregon
I was not expecting anything yet since my largest female Redfoot is only 6 years old and about 9" but today I went to put them away for the night and there she was digging a nest. Well, about 2 hours later she laid 4 eggs. Here are pics of all four as they were laid. I also have a video from the digging to the time she covered the eggs but I'll need to edit it because it's so long.

1st-egg-s.jpg

2nd-egg-s.jpg

3rd-egg-s.jpg

4th-egg-s.jpg

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Yes, it's exciting especially when you didn't expect it. Now the question is if they are good since this is a first for both male & female and of course the looooooooong wait.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
This is great! What a nice surprise. Would love to see the edited video. Yes, now for the long wait. Is this YOUR first time?

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
DesertGrandma said:
This is great! What a nice surprise. Would love to see the edited video. Yes, now for the long wait. Is this YOUR first time?

Yes, this is the first time for tortoise eggs. I've had about 3 years of Eastern Painted Turtle nesting though which is about the same just a lot shorter wait. :D

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Not to high-jack Chucky's thread:

This is his female when he acquired her in '05 -

TIMS.jpg

She came from one of my Colombian females.. she was one of the first 10 I ever hatched and has been raised on the Caresheet in my signature. Six years old and her first eggs at a little over 9" SCL - about the same size as her 'smallest' aunt when she nested first time.

"Chucky" emailed me last night to tell me about it and we talked earlier today on how to set-up the incubator. He's maintaining temps of about 84-85F and humidity upwards of 80%. [ thanks to Tom Mc/jackrat and onarock.. who helped tremendously with their "hands-on" experience and success.. great guys. Thanks! ]

NERD

ALDABRAMAN said:
Congrats, the eggs look great from the pictures.

They do don't they Greg? Chucky put the calipers on one [ slightly elliptical ] 1.35" - quite small for her heritage ( mother and aunt's ) although typical for the very first ones.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
BTW, when I got her from Redfoot Nerd I named her Einstein not knowing that she was a female so the question is, should I change the name and if I do, try to keep it close to Einstein like Einstina or Einstessa?

Any suggestions?

maggi

5 Year Member
how exciting for you,must post pics when they hatch,how long will it take ??

gmayor

5 Year Member
Whittier, CA.
Congrats on the eggs it's cool to see ur baby laying her own babies now congrats again

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
maggi said:
how exciting for you,must post pics when they hatch,how long will it take ??

Should be around Thanksgiving or so.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Wow that is great-I always feel silly writing exciting-eggciting:D:D

Hoping you get some babies from this first clutch.
Great for Terry to see his youngster producing!

I have a pair of cherry heads coming up 6 yrs-maybe not such a while to wait yet??

Look forward to hearing about these eggs

Congrats and thanks for posting the video-first time I saw red foots laying eggs- can't wait for my own to lay some day.

Louise

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Very Nice .... exhilarating experience needlees to say ! .......I'am sure the pro's have hopefully let you know ( and not to burst your bubble by no means ) if this is a first time lay for the female the eggs may or may not be fertile. Keep your hopes high but dont set your self up for a dissapointment after the long wait during incubation . Keep your temps / humidity on track .....and fingers crossed ... GOOD LUCK and CONGRADS!

JD~:)

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
I expect nothing from the eggs but will care for them as each one will be a baby just for that reason, you never know. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.