NESTING

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
This morning when I checked on my Russian tortoises I saw one of the females digging a nest. I intermittently checked on her. She dug the nest and then it looked like she went through the motions of laying eggs. She then covered the nest up. However, when I dug up the nest there wasn't any eggs. I dug a large area up and dug even deeper than a nest would be. I know I dug in the correct area as there was a pile of dirt on a paver directly in front of her and I used that for a landmark. Also when she covered up the nest she buried some of the tall Fescue grass blades. She has already laid three clutches of eggs this year.

Has anyone else ever experienced this with any of their tortoises? :(

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I wonder what caused her to think she had something to lay. Interesting!

Big B

5 Year Member
Orlando, FL
Could be a test nest maybe she didn't like something in the ground. Three clutches that great.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
Yes Carol S. I have. I had an adult female Leo that during her nesting cycle she would take hours digging a nest, "lay", then completely cover it up. But nothing! Every time! Called them ghost eggs lol. I still haven't figured out why she did that lol.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
With my leopards that that this years eggs will be real close to were last years eggs were
But my res. they will dig up their old nest of eggs to lay new right on top of the old ( in the same year)