What a neat place!

TanksMom

Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento Valley
Hi,
My given name is TURDY but my mom calls me Tank because she thinks it's nicer and much more appropriate these days. I no longer do the thing that inspired my original name (thank goodness) !
My mom is my favorite person because she goes hunting for hibiscus flowers for me and they are my FAVORITE thing in the world to eat. When I see my mom with those beautiful red flowers, fresh or even spent, I RUN to her! Sometimes I get so excited I climb onto her lap! image.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Boy! My little brats turn up their noses at wilted ones.....or any color besides red. I have red, yellow, peach and hybrid orange plants. The leaves are always welcome, though!

TanksMom

Sacramento Valley
My boy loves grape leaves and we just so happen to have a grape arbor too! But that season is just about over. He is ravenous these days and I'm sure it is because he is gearing up for hibernation which he spends in our garage in a carrier/kennel. It usually happens towards the end of October. They can eat hibiscus leaves too? I thought it was just the flowers. BTW I am about 40 years old! My moms step daughter rescued me from not so nice neighbors about 32 years ago

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't hibernate anything, so I don't know much about it but...if Tank is going to hibernate in October shouldn't he be purging his system of all the food now? I was told it rots in their gut during hibernation. Just FYI...There's a Sulcata kinda new to TFO and he is also Tank and she's Tanks Mom, so if there's confusion you'll know why. Welcome to TFO...

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Hi, Turdy/Tank! Welcome to you and your mom.

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Good to have you here.

TanksMom

Sacramento Valley
I don't hibernate anything, so I don't know much about it but...if Tank is going to hibernate in October shouldn't he be purging his system of all the food now? I was told it rots in their gut during hibernation. Just FYI...There's a Sulcata kinda new to TFO and he is also Tank and she's Tanks Mom, so if there's confusion you'll know why. Welcome to TFO...
Oops! You are so right! I was momentarily confused...DUH. Yes he does slow down eating and becomes more sluggish the closer he gets to hibernating time...sheesh! He just gets sooooo excited when he sees hibiscus flowers . We just started bringing him in about 8 years ago after the "Tortoise lady" in our area warned us that where he was choosing as a hibernation area in our yard could potentially be a death trap and/or he could acquire a nasty respiratory illness. Thanks for the welcome! About my name is there any way for me to modify mine so that we are differentiated?

M

Maggie Cummings

Oops! You are so right! I was momentarily confused...DUH. Yes he does slow down eating and becomes more sluggish the closer he gets to hibernating time...sheesh! He just gets sooooo excited when he sees hibiscus flowers . We just started bringing him in about 8 years ago after the "Tortoise lady" in our area warned us that where he was choosing as a hibernation area in our yard could potentially be a death trap and/or he could acquire a nasty respiratory illness. Thanks for the welcome! About my name is there any way for me to modify mine so that we are differentiated?
She's Tank'sMom. One of the moderators will have to suggest what to do. Can you alter your name at all? I do think TurdyMom is pretty funny...:)

dmarshall1991

Hi Turdy AKA Tank!! I look forward to seeing more about you :) make sure your momma posts lots of your pictures and remind her to brag about what a handsome boy you are from time to time! :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome....a couple of the CDTs here chow down like crazy about now and do so for the next couple of weeks...then they simply show no interest...a couple of them here are already slowing down on their food interest...but are very active when the weather drops below 90-95....get their end of season energy out...lol....what a beautiful tort by the way...I have an old man tort here that loves the purple colored ones...dried up or fresh plucked....and yes, the leaves of the plant are good too...

TanksMom

Sacramento Valley
Hi Turdy AKA Tank!! I look forward to seeing more about you :) make sure your momma posts lots of your pictures and remind her to brag about what a handsome boy you are from time to time! :)
Thanks! I see you have a dog too? We have a yellow lab who is 7 and has known his " brother" since he came home at 8 weeks old. The Tanker thinks Riley is just a very huge and furry tortoise! ❤️

dmarshall1991

Thanks! I see you have a dog too? We have a yellow lab who is 7 and has known his " brother" since he came home at 8 weeks old. The Tanker thinks Riley is just a very huge and furry tortoise! ❤️
Yes! I have 2 dogs :) a golden retriever and a lab husky mix which is in my picture :) that's too cute that tank sees Riley as a big furry tortoise :p hopefully my dogs and my tortie I'm getting on saturday get along like that! I can't imagine that they wouldnt. Zoey and Juno wouldn't hurt a fly :p the tortoise will probably be the boss!