Wet face

TheSulcata

Hey guys, I have 2 sulcatas and they are both a little over a year old. I keep their enclosure 90 degrees every night and they also have a cool area they can retreat to if they are too hot. I keep a water bowl in there although I've never seen them drink from it, and I soak them every other day for 10 minutes. Their faces are wet, and the wet scales are a little lower than the dry scales. It is not happening right now, but when it does I will share a picture.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hey guys, I have 2 sulcatas and they are both a little over a year old. I keep their enclosure 90 degrees every night and they also have a cool area they can retreat to if they are too hot. I keep a water bowl in there although I've never seen them drink from it, and I soak them every other day for 10 minutes. Their faces are wet, and the wet scales are a little lower than the dry scales. It is not happening right now, but when it does I will share a picture.

Hello and welcome!

90 degrees is too hot for night time. How cool is the "cooler" area? It might be too cool.

Also, they should not be living as a pair. Its very stressful on them even if you don't see overt bullying. Its enough stress that it can hamper their immune systems.

Finally, on to your question:
This species is sometimes called "The Crying Tortoise". Their eyes tend to water. "The Crying Tortoise" is actually the name of the best book about this species.

Check these out for more info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Not only is that temp too high, but what % of humidity do you have? They should have 80% humidity with 80 degree temps and a basking of 95-100.

TheSulcata

Ok, so could you tell me the temp I should keep it at night? And how do I tell what the humidity is?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

TheSulcata

And I always read that they should have a relatively dry climate. They live in Africa so they ought to be able to survive the dry, right?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
And I always read that they should have a relatively dry climate. They live in Africa so they ought to be able to survive the dry, right?

You should never let night temps drop below 80 with high humidity. You have old outdated info about raising a Sulcata. Read all the care sheets and threads posted.

TheSulcata

Ok, and I've also read that their heads get wet because they are shedding scales... is that true?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

This is wrong and this thinking has killed literally tens of thousands of them over the years.

Please read the links I posted for you in post #2 of this thread.

TheSulcata

Ok I just read it and I made them a humid hide where they can get cool and humid. It is a plastic washer tub and I have a wet sponge attached to the top. Is this good? Anything else I can do? I really appreciate your help.

TheSulcata

Looks like they are happy so far! One just went in and started sleeping, thank you!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Ok I just read it and I made them a humid hide where they can get cool and humid. It is a plastic washer tub and I have a wet sponge attached to the top. Is this good? Anything else I can do? I really appreciate your help.

What's the temp inside the "cool humid hide"

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
When you said "cool" it has me worried , You don't want any temps below 80, especially in the humid hide.

TheSulcata

Ok, I've only had this hide for an hour so it's not bad, I will just put it by the heat lamp. Do you think 90-100 would be good?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I would go for between 87-90 in the hide. @Tom can tell you what he likes.

TheSulcata

Oh ya, another question I wanted to ask was about outside. I usually put them outside all day with a water bowl and some shade. They seem to enjoy it. Anything I should change about that? Do I need a humid place out there too? ( it is safe from predators because it is covered in a chicken wire type thing. )