Sulcata soak or just make sure they drink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cali
I have been thinking a bit on this subject of soaking, well im not going to lie, i stopped soaking my sulcatas because they kinda soak themselves once in a while( 6 times a week or sometimes more) they are about 11 months old now or late 10 months, but anyways, they like to walk around and whenever i place mazuri they run to it and eat all of it, they eat grass as well afterwards, they walk around chewing here and there. So whats your take on soaking is it meant for them to drink water or to wet them? Mine automatically drink water as soon as i place the water plate down, theyre now desperate or anything for it lol i dont dehydrate them, but as soon as i place down the plate the 3 big ones go for it and only place their heads in and drink as much as they want and then walk away, then one of them comes back and soaks in it and does some funny splashing movements with his arms and gets out.

Should i keep soaking them or are they already doing good enough?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't go by age, I go by size. A bigger tortoise dehydrates a little slower and holds more water to begin with. Mine are usually around 5" at a year. At that size, I think they should be soaked 2-4 times a week depending on a variety of factors, like the weather and ambient humidity. If they are running over and drinking when you put a plate of water down, it should be a good indicator to you that they are thirsty. They should have drinking water available at all times, not once in a while. So yes, you should be soaking them, and you should also have a shallow drinking water dish for them at all times.

They can survive dehydration for a long time, but that doesn't mean it's good for them.

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
Tom said:
I don't go by age, I go by size. A bigger tortoise dehydrates a little slower and holds more water to begin with. Mine are usually around 5" at a year. At that size, I think they should be soaked 2-4 times a week depending on a variety of factors, like the weather and ambient humidity. If they are running over and drinking when you put a plate of water down, it should be a good indicator to you that they are thirsty. They should have drinking water available at all times, not once in a while. So yes, you should be soaking them, and you should also have a shallow drinking water dish for them at all times.

They can survive dehydration for a long time, but that doesn't mean it's good for them.

Theyre around 6 inches each and growing, they have water available all day but they always run to new water for some reason lol maybe they just got used to running to me because everytime they see me i bring them stuff haha, they dont really drink the water either lol they look at it and walk away most of the times, but please dont think i dont have water available because they always do but its only in the afternoons when theyre in the sun/shade when they do the drinking and eating, i just wanted to point out if soaking was needed if they drink water everyday on their own? I watch them most day because theyre still small so i see them eat and drink water while im on my laptop

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I just wanted to stress, that the running to drink, should be a big clue, they aren't getting enough water. Like Tom already said, they should have water available 24/7. The duty of an animal owner is to do the best for them. The best for them is to keep soaking them and keep them hydrated. I would soak at least every other day, or if it is really hot on a particular day, then soak them. My leopard is 17 mo. old. I don't soak ever day, but he does get soaked 4 times a week and more when we had 100+ days.

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
wellington said:
I just wanted to stress, that the running to drink, should be a big clue, they aren't getting enough water. Like Tom already said, they should have water available 24/7. The duty of an animal owner is to do the best for them. The best for them is to keep soaking them and keep them hydrated. I would soak at least every other day, or if it is really hot on a particular day, then soak them. My leopard is 17 mo. old. I don't soak ever day, but he does get soaked 4 times a week and more when we had 100+ days.

Yes yes lol but they dont run for the water haha it was a typo, they run for the mazuri! Im not a bad owner!!! :,( lol

I misspelled not and put now by the way

Edit: they arent desperate for water they always have water in different places of the backyard! But for some reason they always drink from the cleaner dish of water i bring them, maybe its a dominance thing or a competition for who can be the first to drink the new water

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, I didn't mean to imply you were a bad owner. Sorry if it sounded that way. Just wanted to stress what a good owners responsibility is and that you needed to keep up the soakings. But I read your response to Tom. Sometimes what is in our head doesn't come out quite the same when we type it. Like Tom already said though, at the size of yours, you should still soak them 2-4 times a week. Also, be prepared to separate them. They may or may not continue to get along.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its good that you posted this. We can learn from it. No one thinks you are a bad owner. I've talked with you many times and I know you are a great owner.

Just because we put down a bowl of water does not mean they are drinking and getting enough. Many times I have seen inappropriate water bowls that just stay clean and untouched because the tortoises are not comfortable using them. Some tortoises walk throught them and dirty them, but don't necessarily drink. The fact that your tortoises eagerly drink when you put down new water tells me that they are not drinking enough on their own for some reason. My tortoises don't come running when I refill their waters. Not my babies, and not my adults. Years ago, when I used to keep them too dry they did though.

Climate is another factor here. People who live in Florida or Louisiana, can be a lot more relaxed about this. Their air is humid and it rains and makes puddles all the time. You and I live in a desert. It's very dry here, even though we bring in lots of water and irrigate our landscaping, it hardly ever rains here and so no puddles in the yard unless we make one. People who live in dry climates need to do a little more for their small tortoises. Once they get a little bigger, you don't have to worry about it as much, but for the first couple of years, there is no reason not to take the prudent course of action. If you soak the more than they need, it hurts nothing. If you don't soak them enough, well that could be a problem...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I personally would soak them at least every other day for at least another year....then I would reduce the soaks to a few times a week....I think that even if they are drinking from their dish (which is totally normal by the way :D) that is a bonus, however, I would still do the soaking...for a variety of reasons, you get a time where you are actually looking at them so if you notice something you likely will early on, it is good for hydrating their skin from the outside (I say this because it likely just feels good) also, if they should have a day that they perhaps did not poo--it gives a bit of an edge for that to take place, you know? Also, they sure do look pretty when they are all wet and slippery....lol...and besides, I bet folks would generally agree it is better to error on the side of caution that have to try to catch up later if you should notice a dehydrating tort...:D

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
wellington said:
No, I didn't mean to imply you were a bad owner. Sorry if it sounded that way. Just wanted to stress what a good owners responsibility is and that you needed to keep up the soakings. But I read your response to Tom. Sometimes what is in our head doesn't come out quite the same when we type it. Like Tom already said though, at the size of yours, you should still soak them 2-4 times a week. Also, be prepared to separate them. They may or may not continue to get along.

No its ok lol i just dont people to think im doing it all wrong haha, theyll look at my threads and say "there goes that non soaker!" :( lol but yea i will begin too soak them even though they soak themselves almost everyday and do drink water every day, i dont think they are bullying each other though because they sleep together and rest together and lay down together, they pretty much follow each other throughout the day :)

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
Tom said:
Its good that you posted this. We can learn from it. No one thinks you are a bad owner. I've talked with you many times and I know you are a great owner.

Just because we put down a bowl of water does not mean they are drinking and getting enough. Many times I have seen inappropriate water bowls that just stay clean and untouched because the tortoises are not comfortable using them. Some tortoises walk throught them and dirty them, but don't necessarily drink. The fact that your tortoises eagerly drink when you put down new water tells me that they are not drinking enough on their own for some reason. My tortoises don't come running when I refill their waters. Not my babies, and not my adults. Years ago, when I used to keep them too dry they did though.

Climate is another factor here. People who live in Florida or Louisiana, can be a lot more relaxed about this. Their air is humid and it rains and makes puddles all the time. You and I live in a desert. It's very dry here, even though we bring in lots of water and irrigate our landscaping, it hardly ever rains here and so no puddles in the yard unless we make one. People who live in dry climates need to do a little more for their small tortoises. Once they get a little bigger, you don't have to worry about it as much, but for the first couple of years, there is no reason not to take the prudent course of action. If you soak the more than they need, it hurts nothing. If you don't soak them enough, well that could be a problem...

Thanks Tom and yea i will start soaking again, i stopped a month ago after watching them soak themselves for a few minutes on their own, and i see them drink too, but like ascott said, better to do it before something happens

ascott said:
I personally would soak them at least every other day for at least another year....then I would reduce the soaks to a few times a week....I think that even if they are drinking from their dish (which is totally normal by the way :D) that is a bonus, however, I would still do the soaking...for a variety of reasons, you get a time where you are actually looking at them so if you notice something you likely will early on, it is good for hydrating their skin from the outside (I say this because it likely just feels good) also, if they should have a day that they perhaps did not poo--it gives a bit of an edge for that to take place, you know? Also, they sure do look pretty when they are all wet and slippery....lol...and besides, I bet folks would generally agree it is better to error on the side of caution that have to try to catch up later if you should notice a dehydrating tort...:D

Yea i am going to start soaking from now on, i was soaking daily every day about a month ago too but stopped after seeing them do it themselves daily lol and yea i was a "non soaker" lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
wellington said:
Also, be prepared to separate them. They may or may not continue to get along.

He's got a nice little group of four. Most of the time, young sulcatas get along just fine in groups of three or more.

Just putting it out there since Ninja didn't mention how many he's got in this thread.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks Tom, no I didn't know how many, just knew there was more then one.
NinjaTortoises, no one will think your a bad owner. Everything else sounds good. Besides, you were caring enough to put it out there and ask. :D. As I said above, I didn't know you had more then two, which is what I figured you had. So ya, probably (fingers crossed) no bullying:)

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I soak all of my tortoises even my adult sulcatas. At 6 inches I would still soak your torts at least three times a week. More if you can but three times is good for them each week.

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
Tom said:
He's got a nice little group of four. Most of the time, young sulcatas get along just fine in groups of three or more.

Just putting it out there since Ninja didn't mention how many he's got in this thread.

Yes 4 is the magic number! :D

Eweezyfosheezy said:
I soak all of my tortoises even my adult sulcatas. At 6 inches I would still soak your torts at least three times a week. More if you can but three times is good for them each week.

Yea im going to soak them as often as possible which will be almost everyday since im not working or at school at the moment

wellington said:
Thanks Tom, no I didn't know how many, just knew there was more then one.
NinjaTortoises, no one will think your a bad owner. Everything else sounds good. Besides, you were caring enough to put it out there and ask. :D. As I said above, I didn't know you had more then two, which is what I figured you had. So ya, probably (fingers crossed) no bullying:)

Yea thanks and i hope it answers other peoples questions, i used to search through the forum when i barely bought them for advice that was given years ago and its helped a lot, and yea i hope there will not be any bullying, 2 are always hanging out together and the other 2 are sometimes together but mostly just eating grass, its funny how the biggest one 720 grams always hangs out with the smallest one (312 grams)

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I like to bring my tortoise in and soak him. I see him drink, splash, stretch out and soak, and I get a chance to clean up and inspect his shell, legs, feet, etc. I might not soak him every day, but when it's as hot as it has been these last two weeks I do soak him every day. He is 13 inches SCL and about 15 lbs. ( feels like 20 when I pick him up) and lives outside 24/7. I like the ritual, and he seems to benefit, so I'll probably keep doing it as long as I can still lift him.

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
Laura said:
mine have water, I see them drinking, and one really prefers the running hose...

Yea mine do that too but running hose sounds cool because i wouldnt know how that works for them haha but it sounds cool, i can imagine a tortoise drinking water like a human would put of a hose lol

Dizisdalife said:
I like to bring my tortoise in and soak him. I see him drink, splash, stretch out and soak, and I get a chance to clean up and inspect his shell, legs, feet, etc. I might not soak him every day, but when it's as hot as it has been these last two weeks I do soak him every day. He is 13 inches SCL and about 15 lbs. ( feels like 20 when I pick him up) and lives outside 24/7. I like the ritual, and he seems to benefit, so I'll probably keep doing it as long as I can still lift him.

Oh wow i should be doing that too, its not thats i didnt want to soak or that they dirtied the tubs its that i thought they were becoming more independent, but soaking is always good , they still do it themselves everyday lol but ill add an extra 15-20 min soak 3-4 times a week :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use the hose trick sometimes too. Don't know what it is, but they often just like to drink out of a new puddle.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I prefer to drink water fresh out of the tap. It tastes better than when it's been standing round.... there's no reason for our torts not to feel the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.