Wet eyes/Eyes staying shut more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
Hi, I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. I have an EBT that has lived here in my outdoor enclosure for about 3 weeks. She has been very active and one of my best eaters since she arrived. The last 2 days, I noticed she was slowing down in her activity...figured just settling in.

It seems the past 2 days that she is sleeping more. I've picked her up a couple of times to check her and her eyes are closed up...forgive me, I'm new to this...they are closed but it's looks like an inner lid and is light colored. After she's handled, she will open them but it seems a little slower than normal. Once they are open, they look clear but wet.

Yesterday, they just looked watery or wet. She ate but wasn't as active as normal.

Today, it seems that I saw some watery stuff run out too, but I'm not sure. They also do not seem to be as open as normal. She has laid around large parts of the day and is def. not as active.

I do not hear wheezing as I've been checking; I do not notice her mouth being open or gasping; I do not see anything wet or different about her nose/nostrils.

I've been scrolling the forum for about an hour and cannot find anything identical...it seems it's with tortoises or includes wheezing symptoms, so I thought I'd post for help. It seems that this is abnormal for her. Is this the beginning of a respiratory problem or another issue/virus/disease? Is there something I can do now to help her? At what point should I separate her from others? At what point should I seek a vet?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
Hi, thanks for your response. I'll add a little more information... I live in WV where they are native and legal to own. The outdoor enclosure has various places for shade/hiding/sun. The humidity here has been really high for the past couple of weeks and we are getting rain quite often. If it soars above 85 and no rain or if it is mid to high 80s or above with no rain for a couple of days, then I mist the enclosure to help bring up the humidity and give them relief.

Laura said:
could be,, or too dry or too hot....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't really suggest any ideas except to send a pm to either Jacqui or Yvonne, they may be able to help you further. Good luck, hope all is well

abclements

5 Year Member
I think she's dehydrated. I know torts "cry" and get sticky eye when the get too dehydrated. Just soak her twice a day for a couple of days and that should hopefully improve things!

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
Thank you very much; I'll def. try that.
abclements said:
I think she's dehydrated. I know torts "cry" and get sticky eye when the get too dehydrated. Just soak her twice a day for a couple of days and that should hopefully improve things!

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
UPDATE: Her eyes are now really gummy and staying closed often. She is still very inactive compared to 4-10 days ago. I called the vet, but she is out until Monday. I don't know if this is infection, herpes, RI, dehydration, UV overexposure (can this happen in a large outdoor enclosure w/natural sunlight when there are plenty of shady spots and hides?)... I fear she'll be worse by Monday; any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

abclements

5 Year Member
Hmm I honestly don't know enough about boxies to give you any more worth while advice. Have you pm'd Jacqui or Yvonne? They have kept boxies for a long time and could probably help you further.

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
No, I have not done that yet. I didn't want to bother them, but think I may try since I feel desperate at this point. Thank you for your time and response. :)

abclements

5 Year Member
Any time! Don't feel like you're bothering them, especially with a sick tort! They both love to help and they wouldn't be moderators on here if they weren't willing. So pm away! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.