Eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

laney

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Aberdeen, Scotland
Think my babies eyes are too wet but I'm not sure as I worry about them 24/7.
Harley's look a little more shiny than before and maybe a tiny bit of wet in the corners now and again but they aren't soaking wet, although she does seem to rub them a bit more than normal. She seems a bit lethargic and wants to dig and sleep more, doesn't eat very much either.
Yoshi's eyes go weird in and after a soak it is just warm water in the soak but every second or third blink his eyes look bubbly. It stops a while after the soak but I'm just concerned there is something up.
Should I be concerned??

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
What sort of substrate are you using? Also the temperature in the enclosure as well. Sometimes they can "cr"y when too hot and too dry. Or get some subatrate on their eyes.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
9364a1f9.jpg

Thanks for your reply
Their substrate is a mix of things, up top is pretty dry a mix of tortoise life and aspen, down bottom is not too dry, I worry it's not dry enough, it's a mix of top soil and repti blocks (i think thats what theyre called here) that you add water too to break them down and expand. The substrate under the lamp is dry but it is not under the surface towards the back and under ramp where Harley likes to dig and sleep.
Ok temps up top 31c at one end and about 21c at other using ceramic heater on thermostat, down bottom I'm not sure yet need to get a temp gun, using a 100w basking bulb to heat.
I can't really win with the temps as Yoshi can't get close enough to the heat and Harley usually avoids it :( I'm confused, just want them to be happy!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Ahhh ha. Your problem is going to be the aspen up top. I would change that out asap. Its getting small particles in they eyes hence the watering and irritating to him, causing sctraching. Aspen is only ok for small mammals. It can also mold if kept wet. I would use the reptile blocks in the top portion. Same as bottom. Everything down there is just fine. You should see this problem go away once you change the substrate. Also rinse the eyes with some sterile saline to give a good flush if anything is in the eye which it sounds like this is the case.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
aww but they like the aspen :( i will take it out if thats the problem! is there anything similar but better i could put in a section of uptop for them as they do like to snuggle in it.
Thanks again

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Cypress mulch, hatdwood mulch, eucalyptis mulch, coco coir, and orchid bark are all great to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.