Western Hermann's Hooked on Mazuri?

daniel laggner

I recently got this lovely 3 yo Tuscan Western Hermann's female and she seems to only want Mazuri (tortoise chow). She was eating dandelion and spinach, as well as Mazuri, but over the past couple of weeks, she seems to only want the Mazuri. I've chopped my greens finely and mixed the rehydrated mizuri together, but she's picking through the pile to find the mazuri.

Are there any suggestions for (a) how to keep mazuri in her diet, but also keep her eating greens and (b) are there any negative repercussions for eating too much mazuri?

Here she is : )
IMG_1696.JPG IMG_1555.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Smear the Mazuri on the greens so she has to eat the green to get Mazuri. I would also add the greens to the Mazuri while its soaking.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
Mazuri is a great supplement. It shouldn't be used as a staple though. A little bit of tough love should do the trick. Just feed the weeds and greens everyday. Eventually, it will decide to eat. This can take up to a week or two. As long as the tortoise is healthy, this is totally fine. Once it is eating weeds and greens regularly, you can reintroduce the Mazuri. In my opinion, it should only be used a couple of times a week.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Mazuri is ment to be 20% of tortoise diet so do whatI do : I run it through a coffee grinder and then put it over the food ! The tort cannt seperate it !