1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

4.5 month old tortoise not eating as much as normal

Discussion in 'Hermanns tortoises' started by Higgy, Sep 12, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Higgy

Higgy New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    London
    I have a question. My little guy has been with us since mid July. He is active during the day and seems happy. The last few days he doesn't seem to be eating as much. His basking is around 90 and his humidity fluctuates but I try to maintain 60 but sometimes can get it to 75. Soaks daily. I am used to him eating alot and the last few days he eats a few bites and goes on his way. Currently weighing in at 60grams. Any idea on his lack of eating? Oh hes been on dandelion radicchio romain the odd spinach as a treat and mazuri every 3rd day. Which he will devour but I have been mixing it in chopped greens in hope he will eat more greens and not only mazuri....
  2. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Location (City and/or State):
    Clovis, CA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    The most common cause for a tortoise to not eat is he's not warm enough. How old is this tortoise? I keep my babies' enclosures between 80-85F degrees day and night, all over the whole enclosure - no hot side, no cool side. Let's ask @SweetGreekTorts if she has any words of wisdom for you. She's more familiar with the Hermanns species than I am.