Welcome home, Otis! :D

otisthetortoise

5 Year Member
I have just got Otis, a girl tortoise (yes...we stuck with the name) who has after shyly being introduced to her tortoise table, perked up in a few minutes and trailed soil through her water dish, eaten some of her dinner, and exploring every corner of her enclosure before burrowing nicely under some soil in a quiet corner.
She is very energetic even though both lamps are off so it's a little bit of a relief that she is finally going to sleep!
I love her to pieces already :D

(I wrote the above last night), now she has woken up groggily - she's a sleepy tort - and after ten minutes, moved to her food bowl and began to eat. She spent about twelve minutes eating, and is now resting under her heat lamp. She's very calm and is settling in really well - I was scared her appetite wouldn't perk up for a few more days.
However, something that mildly concerns me is she hasn't gone near her water bowl and once placed she will sit there absent-mindedly for a few seconds before scrambling out again. The water is lukewarm and I keep refilling it to keep the temperature. But I'm sure she just doesn't like water much, and it's still nerves. She's weed but hasn't pooed yet :D
Here are some pictures of her!
(Sorry for the big images, thumbnails don't seem to be working atm!)
By the way she's muddy because she burrowed and I haven't soaked her yet :)image4-6.JPGimage1-6.JPG
image2-6.JPG

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Its hard to tell, but make sure thst your water bowl is level with the substrate, sunken down in so your new guy can easily crawl down into the shallow bowl. Id also just put a flat stone or tile for the food, vice a bowl. Seems more natural and provides a surface where torts can naturally scrape thei beak. I don't see any type of hide ?

Have fun, good luck!

otisthetortoise

5 Year Member
Its hard to tell, but make sure thst your water bowl is level with the substrate, sunken down in so your new guy can easily crawl down into the shallow bowl. Id also just put a flat stone or tile for the food, vice a bowl. Seems more natural and provides a surface where torts can naturally scrape thei beak. I don't see any type of hide ?

Have fun, good luck!
Hi!
The water bowl was previously used with the other and she said she was fine with it, so I'm not sure, but will probably get another very soon.
As for hideys, I am getting them tomorrow for Christmas as tort gear is my main present! Also, in her enclosure, she has a built in shadowed compartment with an entrance that acts like a hidey hole for now :)
I can't wait to start decorating her enclosure more!
Thank you.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum, to you and your cute tort.:tort:

otisthetortoise

5 Year Member
Thank you all guys! New pictures of her will be up soon :)
She weighs 9g and she is, I've discovered, not a morning tort ;) but after a few hours she will start being as energetic as always.
Olivia