Worried mum!

Suziebee

Hi, I am looking after my daughters hermann tortoise for a week while she's on holiday. She seemed fine for a couple of days but I gave her some grapes which she didn't really eat. Since then she's been a bit listless. She ate a bit of red pepper the next day and yesterday I went in to check her and she was right in the darkest corner of the house in her table. This morning I turned the light on and she's still there, hasn't touched her food and she's really cold. I have put her under the heat lamp but I'm scared she's trying to hibernate. I have turned the heating right up in the house. I just hope I haven't done anything wrong. Forgive me if I sound like a neurotic idiot but I am really concerned.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
cumbria england
hi, welcome to the forums, what are the 4 temps? hot end, cool end, basking and over night low. when they don't eat and sleep a lot is often because they are too cold. they shouldn't really eat fruit its to high in sugar i'm not sure if it would affect it that quickly tho . try giving it a warm soak for 20mins or so it often perks them up, you may have to change the water to keep it warm. Also have a read of the care sheet in the hermans section it might highlight any issues. hope s/he feels better soon.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Are you watching the tort at her house or did you bring it to your place? Torts stress out with change and stress will cause them to not eat. Being too cold is usually the reason they stop eating. I would say turn the heat up and offer the tort a warm soak. Make sure the lights are on 12-14 hours a day so it doesn't think it's winter and time to hibernate.

Post some pics so we can see what you're working with.

Suziebee

Are you watching the tort at her house or did you bring it to your place? Torts stress out with change and stress will cause them to not eat. Being too cold is usually the reason they stop eating. I would say turn the heat up and offer the tort a warm soak. Make sure the lights are on 12-14 hours a day so it doesn't think it's winter and time to hibernate.

Post some pics so we can see what you're working with.

Suziebee

My daughter lives here, the table is in her room. She seems to have perked up again. Back to normal actually. Thanks for your replies it's great to know that help is on hand if you need it. I will take some pictures of the set up anyway. We had no intention of getting a HT it was someone at work who had her and was going to give her back to the pet shop. I couldn't bear the thought of that. Nor could my daughter so she bought the set up complete.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
My daughter lives here, the table is in her room. She seems to have perked up again. Back to normal actually. Thanks for your replies it's great to know that help is on hand if you need it. I will take some pictures of the set up anyway. We had no intention of getting a HT it was someone at work who had her and was going to give her back to the pet shop. I couldn't bear the thought of that. Nor could my daughter so she bought the set up complete.
Glad to here the little girl's ok again.
Perhaps she was just missing your daughter?

Suziebee

I think she might have been. She's back now though. What a responsibility! I'm smitten now though. She's so loveable :)