Weird tortoise shell spots.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I didn't even think of that thank you for your suggestion!! :D
There are many people on this forum who know a great deal about tortoise keeping (not me , I'm afraid) and whatever your problem,there will be someone who can help, so don't enquire at pet shops, or facebook, or anything like that - you will find proper help here.
You never mentioned your little one's name, by the way.
Best wishes from Angie

ILoveMyTortoise143

Location (City and/or State)
CA
There are many people on this forum who know a great deal about tortoise keeping (not me , I'm afraid) and whatever your problem,there will be someone who can help, so don't enquire at pet shops, or facebook, or anything like that - you will find proper help here.
You never mentioned your little one's name, by the way.
Best wishes from Angie
Any help and or tips is great and I'm grateful for everyone's help! As far as names go I have only gotten him recently and still does not know the gender so I haven't quite gotten to name it yet :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Feed him as much as he wants. Just keep a variety of different foods.
Redfoot can eat fruit. Redfoot should be provided fruit. We're only talking about Redfoot here.
I don't want someone with a different species seeing this post and feeding their tortoise a pile of fruit. Thinking I said it was ok.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Get some plexiglass or even aluminum foil and close off the majority of that top.
(Don't place plexiglass near hot lights)
Closing off the top will create a greenhouse effect. Or a CLOSED CHAMBER ENCLOSURE.
It's what Redfoot need.
If you get some time, search posts that have CLOSED CHAMBER enclosures and get some ideas from that. Some of our members have been very creative.
Me? I'm lazy. I live in steamy south Florida. Nature does the hard work.
My actual experience with building these enclosures is minimal

zolasmum

5 Year Member
It might be quite a while before you know if he's a boy or a girl - why not choose something which could be a boy or girl name - eg Peter/Petronella, or George/ Georgina - something like that. ? There are lots of alternatives. Otherwise you wil just be calling him It, possibly for ages.
Just a thought.
Angie

ILoveMyTortoise143

CA
Get some plexiglass or even aluminum foil and close off the majority of that top.
(Don't place plexiglass near hot lights)
Closing off the top will create a greenhouse effect. Or a CLOSED CHAMBER ENCLOSURE.
It's what Redfoot need.
If you get some time, search posts that have CLOSED CHAMBER enclosures and get some ideas from that. Some of our members have been very creative.
Me? I'm lazy. I live in steamy south Florida. Nature does the hard work.
My actual experience with building these enclosures is minimal
I see thank you so much for all your help! I will for sure look into close chambers and try my best to improve the living conditions of my baby. Very much grateful. -J

P.s. is there a recommended amount of time I should soak my tortoise a week?

Last edited:

ILoveMyTortoise143

CA
It might be quite a while before you know if he's a boy or a girl - why not choose something which could be a boy or girl name - eg Peter/Petronella, or George/ Georgina - something like that. ? There are lots of alternatives. Otherwise you wil just be calling him It, possibly for ages.
Just a thought.
Angie
yeah, I have been thinking spike/tank or Shellie/tink but is kinda hard to decide on a name 😭

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I see thank you so much for all your help! I will for sure look into close chambers and try my best to improve the living conditions of my baby. Very much grateful. -J

I'm sure that lots of people have a strict schedule. But I'd say 30-45 minutes every day or every other day.
Keep the water warm.
Not hot

zolasmum

5 Year Member
yeah, I have been thinking spike/tank or Shellie/tink but is kinda hard to decide on a name 😭
Zola's name just came into my mind from nowhere - I think he put it there himself. There was once a female runner called Zola Budd, and a former footballer who we admired a lot called GianFranco Zola, - and also a writer called Emile Zola. Also we later found that Zola means quietness in Swahili. So his name covers all sorts of possibilities !
Angie

ILoveMyTortoise143

CA
Zola's name just came into my mind from nowhere - I think he put it there himself. There was once a female runner called Zola Budd, and a former footballer who we admired a lot called GianFranco Zola, - and also a writer called Emile Zola. Also we later found that Zola means quietness in Swahili. So his name covers all sorts of possibilities !
Angie
That's such a versatile name love it! :D for me spike names came from my favorite character in TMNT and tank is because he's a turtle and he's tanky but yeah probably one of the two <3

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
After seeing your enclosure, a couple things spring to mind - He needs more cover. Tortoises like to be protected by plants, large 'boulders', etc. And the cover plants and boulders also make it more humid in the enclosure. Then there's the light sitting on the screen. That screen effectively filters out the UVB rays. This isn't AS important with RF tortoises as it is with other species because RF tortoises can also get their D3 from the animal matter you feed him.

So, more humidity, more cover for the tortoise, maybe a larger enclosure.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK

I recommend a high sided container ( similar to a dish washing up bowl) for soaks or they just walk away dedicated to your tortoise. Warm shallow water for 30 or 40 mins 3 times a week depending on your schedule. I soak on a Sunday and weight on digital scales and keep a log. Overtime will see weight loss and gain.

ILoveMyTortoise143

CA
After seeing your enclosure, a couple things spring to mind - He needs more cover. Tortoises like to be protected by plants, large 'boulders', etc. And the cover plants and boulders also make it more humid in the enclosure. Then there's the light sitting on the screen. That screen effectively filters out the UVB rays. This isn't AS important with RF tortoises as it is with other species because RF tortoises can also get their D3 from the animal matter you feed him.

So, more humidity, more cover for the tortoise, maybe a larger enclosure.
Hello, thank you for your advice! I will add more cover and try to do something about that UVB light. As far as feeding it animal matter I have yet to feed it any of that yet because I'm not quite sure which is safe to feed it. Maybe some eggs eventually. Overall thank you again for your advice! Will improve my tank soon! :D

ILoveMyTortoise143

CA
I recommend a high sided container ( similar to a dish washing up bowl) for soaks or they just walk away dedicated to your tortoise. Warm shallow water for 30 or 40 mins 3 times a week depending on your schedule. I soak on a Sunday and weight on digital scales and keep a log. Overtime will see weight loss and gain.
Yeah, I do have a dedicated container for my tortoise to soak :) I currently soak it roughly for like 10 minutes. every day and sometimes every other day. It also has a water dish in its enclosure but I might just start soaking it longer. I only soak it for like 10 minutes because it starts to try and climb out after that much time. Thank you for your advice as well!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Yeah, I do have a dedicated container for my tortoise to soak :) I currently soak it roughly for like 10 minutes. every day and sometimes every other day. It also has a water dish in its enclosure but I might just start soaking it longer. I only soak it for like 10 minutes because it starts to try and climb out after that much time. Thank you for your advice as well!
It would be good if you left him to scrabble in the water for a few minutes, as the exercise will do him good - gets his insides functioning well. Just stay with him so he doesn't manage to get out or flip himself over.
Angie

ILoveMyTortoise143

CA
It would be good if you left him to scrabble in the water for a few minutes, as the exercise will do him good - gets his insides functioning well. Just stay with him so he doesn't manage to get out or flip himself over.
Angie
Oh yeah I definitely sit there and look at him. I’ll let him run around longer then thank you! :)