Weight necessary for tortoise to be outside without a lid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
My sulcata is currently 3.5lbs. She lives in an enclosure with a secured lid to keep hawks and predators out. Does anyone know a general weight that hawks are no longer a threat? I was told by a friend who keeps tortoises that once his reach ten pounds he no longer worries about birds of prey. Even when I do make a lidless enclosure, it will still be secured and escape proof, with a completely enclosed night box, but I'm wondering how soon I should start building.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This totally depends on your area. Some areas, like in the big cities, they are fine at 3". In some other areas they would still be vulnerable at 12". Depends on YOUR neighborhood and what animals are running around. Mine are outside full time by the time they reach 8-10". But I don't have raccoons or coyotes coming in to their area either. The BOP leave them alone at this size where I am.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tom said:
Depends on YOUR neighborhood and what animals are running around.

I agree completely. Then also add in how brave you are. :D A heavily planted enclosure also makes a difference.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Man, if I put my babies outside while I was at work I would never get anything done. Even now I come home for "lunch" every other day to make sure they are ok and they are pimpin in a huge indoor with a spa and lots of plants! (By spa I mean a basking zone with UVB and a teracotta dish filled with water)

Status
Not open for further replies.