Beginning stages of planning for a Russian tortoise

Grfox1

Location (City and/or State)
Frostburg, MD
The options that seem to make the most sense to us at the moment are
1. Buy a hatchling or juvie from a reputable breeder or
2. Adopt (most likely with a rehoming fee) someone’s unwanted adult tortoise.

If we go the route of a young tortoise, I certainly plan to use a breeder recommended through this forum.

IWhat is the general consensus of a newbie acquiring someone else’s adult tortoise they no longer want? I have seen a few people trying to rehome tortoises within a 2 hour driving radius. Minor health issues that can be corrected with time, effort, and basic vet care I would be ok with. Are there any potential major health issues I should be worried about? Having been married to a veterinarian I have had plenty of experience adopting and caring for pets with major health issues but at the moment, my tortoise knowledge is limited.

Also, I am trying to plan ahead for an outdoor enclosure. I live in Frostburg, MD which is in the 6a/6b planting zone. I thought about building the enclosure against the foundation of my house to discourage predators and block some of the occasional strong winds we have here. I am not sure there would be enough direct sunlight with this option. How many hours of direct sunlight should I shoot for? Or would it be better to plan something in the middle of the yard to have as much direct sun as possible and create partially shaded areas?