HI some questions for a newish tort owner

avmarenco

Location (City and/or State)
south florida
Hi I'm Ash
my cousin found lucy (my sulcata) walking the side of the road and called me, I took her in
after looking around to see if anyone lost her (craigslist and signs) I had no luck finding her old home

so we decided to keep her
She lives on the side of my back yard (where i can keep a eye on her from my window)
I been feeding her mixed greens, a strawberry as a treat probably every 3weeks
she does have weeds/grass growing in her enclosure but its mostly dirt. also a saucer of water in a shaded area for her

FIRST QUESTION:
She keeps digging holes to live in. These holes scare me. I DONT want her to continue digging away from where i cant reach her. So i close up the holes usually when I see that she made a good size.

Here in south Florida it rains alot probably at least 2 hours a day and then its a beautiful day again.
Im scared the hole will collapse on her when it rains, will she be lost forever? suffocate? know which way to dig to get out?

so the question is Should I let her keep her hole? or continue to fill it up?

QUESTION 2

What are some things I CAN do to help pyramiding ? she lives outside, doesnt eat the food with the calcium powder on it. wasn't a fan of the tortoise pellets. LOVES mixed Greens, zucchini, lettuce, cabbage, romaine... I posted pictures on my page if you have any advice its greatly appreciated

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello,and welcome. Take a look at Toms,thread on night boxes he builds for his sulcatas and leopards in Cali. It might be something you could do. It would let her burrow under ground, but it would be safe and you wouldn't have to worry about her being there.
Here's the thread http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/

As for pyramiding, humidity in Florida should help a lot. You can also make the night box the humid night box.