Weather

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamR

5 Year Member
Well I'm glad everyone is having such fine weather. The rest of us poor souls down south are enjoying our flash floods, tornadoes, hail, constant rain for the past week!

Rjhoop

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Western N.Y. on Lake Erie
pdrobber said:
chilly,rain, thunderstorms, foggy, misty, humid...No outdoor grazing so far this week :( But I picked for them and brought it to them.

Same in Buffalo did get him out for 20 minutes again today after work he loves it outside eats like a champ!!But he even eats hay at 5 mos. old so i guess he would!!!:p

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
80 & sunny in Connecticut!!! Had mine out from 11-7!!! Great day!!!

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Great Days!
Iv Been Able to Let Mine Out After school from 3 to 6ish

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Rainy on and off and in the mid 60's today. Not sure if I should let her out. She has tons of new sprouts from a sulcata seed mix I planted in her enclosure, I know she would rather graze outside then be stuck inside but I don't want her to get cold.:(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
CtTortoiseMom said:
Rainy on and off and in the mid 60's today. Not sure if I should let her out. She has tons of new sprouts from a sulcata seed mix I planted in her enclosure, I know she would rather graze outside then be stuck inside but I don't want her to get cold.:(

I wouldn't. If its sunny, dry and 65, I'll put mine out, but thats after I use a temp gun and check ground temps. For juveniles, I want ground temps in the 70's for babies, I want ground temps in the 80's. Those are my arbitrary parameters and so far they have worked well for me.

If your ground is wet from the rain and its overcast, I wouldn't risk it.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Thank's Tom, that is what I was thinking, I just did not know if I was being overprotective.

HankC13

5 Year Member
Southern California
Day time temps are around 85 in SoCal but night time can drop to around the 60s. Is that too cold for a sulcata baby to be outside? Do most of you bring yours in at night?

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
The weather is still great in socal,
My little one has got to go out everyday for hours

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
HankC13 said:
Day time temps are around 85 in SoCal but night time can drop to around the 60s. Is that too cold for a sulcata baby to be outside? Do most of you bring yours in at night?

I always bring mine in at night. Once the night time temps are consistently above 60 I leave them out.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
It was in the 30s last night...been in the 80s most of the week but with high winds, so it felt more like 65...still everybody's been out all day forthe last couple weeks...and they're all in by 5.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
HankC13 said:

Personally, I wouldn't leave a baby outside overnight, regardless of the weather. I think its too dry here for one reason and risk of predation for another. And the weather man is sometimes wrong and it gets colder than we think it will. Its still been dipping into the 40's here at night. No problem for adults in a heated box, but I wouldn't risk a baby that way.

HankC13

5 Year Member
Southern California
Thanks Tom i went to Walmart & petsmart today to get supplies to give him a place to sleep indoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.