Watery Eye on my Russian Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquirtsFamily

5 Year Member
Hi everyone. I am a new user to this site. I have had Squirt our russian male tortoise for approximately 2 weeks and he has been great up until today. I noticed today his one eye is watery and he seems to be blinking that eye very rapidly. He is still eating very well and I do soak him 2-3 times a week so I am unsure what the cause could be. I read many posts on this forum but not sure if I have the same issue as the other people had. He is is a 55 gallon tank which I know is not recommended but the temp is typically at 80 and the humidity is usually between 40-60. I was wondering what i could be doing wrong. He seems to love the tank and has lots of room but could that be the issue? Please if anyone has advice I am willing to try anything. Thanks everyone!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello,and Welcome. Your temps, only 80? There should be a basking temp 95-100.warm end 80 and cool end 70-75 and night temps 68-70 Russians don't like it too hot. What kind of substrate do you use? Also, if you have a coil type bulb, replace it, they have been known to cause eye problems, even blindness.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
East Bay area
Welcome. Your guy needs to be warmer. Bump him up to 100 on the warm side for a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.