Puffy/Watery Eye

jaren.yuen

Hi,
I'm new to this site and am in need for some urgent care advice for my Russian tortoise. Just today I noticed that my male Russian tortoise's right eye is swollen but not shut. It looks like it's also a little watery. Please help me I'm freaking out and need help! I love him to death and never had any health issues happen in the 4 years I had him until now.
Please help!
ImageUploadedByTortForum1390895994.173634.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
What lighting are you using? Is your substrate woodchips like I see in the picture? If so, he may have gotten poked in the eye by a piece. Or if you are using incorrect lighting a similar effect can occur.

jaren.yuen

I use a heat bulb and a UVB light. I do have wood chips as substrate. If he did get poked in the eye what should I do to help him and would it heal eventually? Also, should I take him to the vet?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jaren, and welcome to the Forum!

The reason Hunter asked you what kind of lights you're using is because certain type of UVB bulbs have been known to cause a painful condition similar to snow-blindness in tortoises.

I think, because only one eye is involved, that the other scenario is more likely. Just buy some soothing eye ointment. You can flush out the eye with sterile saline solution (purchased for humans in the contact lens section of the pharmacy), then put in a dab of soothing eye ointment. The problem should clear up on its own without going to the vet, but if it doesn't, be looking for a good vet who knows tortoises.