Water source for a growing boy

bdavison

5 Year Member
Hello, my sulcata is at a size that I am struggling with for a water source. He is about 60 lbs. He is too big for any water bowl ever made, but the pond we have for him is a terrible challenge to keep clean and intact. I can’t figure out how to actually configure a kiddie pool for him to easily get in and out of, yet have a way to drain and flush it regularly. Do you dig it into the ground and put rocks along the edges, so they can get back out? Then, how do you pick it up to dump and clean it? I think I might be able to put a drain of some sort in the bottom. Any advice on what you do once they get this big is most appreciated! Pics would be super helpful.
Thnx!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I use pizza dough trays. They are 36x18" and about 3 inches deep. I dig a hole in the ground to sink them into.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I plan to dig out a shallow "pond" maybe 4 or 5 inches deep and cement it in. I can then use the pressure from the garden hose to clean it out and refill it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I plan to dig out a shallow "pond" maybe 4 or 5 inches deep and cement it in. I can then use the pressure from the garden hose to clean it out and refill it.
I have something like that for the box turtles. I just sweep the leaves and water out with the broom.

For my large sulcata I have the lid off a garbage toter. It's dug into the ground, but easy to lift an edge to dump and refill.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I believe some people have had success with taking a kiddy pool and cutting a hole in the front for access, like a cat litter pan. You could probably also cut all the way around to make it more shallow.