Pasture seed mix - little growing help pls

Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, CA
Okay!! My "pasture seed" arrived from groworganic.com.... I am terrible with plants... my "plan" is to grow the mix in the little kiddie pool (predator cover will keep birds from stealing the seed too ;-) )... okay, so I drilled some drain holes... put some river rocks for drainage.. filled with organic top soil... uh, so now what? Do I just put seeds in and mix a bit? Layer of soil? How often water? How much sun? Amount of seeds to plant? Seeeeee..... so not a green thumb!!! Help please

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
With pasture seed, because I spread it across such a large area, I just toss it out on the ground by the handfuls, then lightly rake the soil back and forth to gently cover the seeds with soil.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I hand cast the seeds out onto my pre-prepped soil and then cover with another thin layer of loose soil.

Full sun and warm weather will make it germinate faster. Do NOT let the upper layers of soil dry out for the first week or two. In my hot dry climate I have to water lightly every couple of hours during the day. Once it takes off you can just water once or twice a day until it is more established. I take my first cuttings when the grass is around 12" tall.

Fresno, CA
Thanks tom! Will do... pretty hot and dry these days (typical central CA weather)... so I will def have to be checking often and keep that stuff moist
Thank you for the help! I did try reading the "planting guides" that the organic web site provided... made no sense to me... I needed the "cliff note" and simple term version!!! So very much appreciated!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks tom! Will do... pretty hot and dry these days (typical central CA weather)... so I will def have to be checking often and keep that stuff moist
Thank you for the help! I did try reading the "planting guides" that the organic web site provided... made no sense to me... I needed the "cliff note" and simple term version!!! So very much appreciated!!!

As long as you don't let it dry out, that mix will grow amazingly fast and last for years if you keep cutting it.